Dominant Pitching Leads Kannapolis to Friday Night Victory
KANNAPOLIS, N.C. - The Kannapolis Intimidators (2-0, 30-40) held the Augusta GreenJackets' (0-2, 36-34) bats at bay for the second straight night, winning game two of the four-game slate 6-1 Friday Night at Intimidators Stadium supported by Atrium Health.
In the bottom of the second inning, a wild pitch from Augusta's Blake Rivera (L, 4-5) brought in Corey Zangari to score to get Kannapolis on the board. A few pitches later, Jhoandro Alfaro grounded out to first, but Romy Gonzalez managed to score to double the lead to 2-0.
Taylor Varnell, who was presumably on a pitch limit, came out after four innings and his final line read as: 4 IP, 2 H, BB, 2 K. Wyatt Burns (W, 1-0) came in relief and made his season debut for Kannapolis.
In the top of the fifth inning, Augusta got one run back. An Ismael Munguia ground out allowed Andres Angulo to score to make things 2-1.
It didn't take long for Kannapolis to answer. In the bottom of the fifth with Ian Dawkins and Lenyn Sosa on base, Alex Destino launched a three-run home run (5) to right-center to give the Intimidators a 5-1 lead. A couple batters later, Zangari tacked on one of his three doubles of the day with one down the right field line, scoring Bryce Bush to extend the lead to five runs, 6-1.
Over the remaining four innings, Burns, Conway and Watson pitched scoreless frames and gave up just two hits to give Kannapolis their second straight win to begin the second half.
The Intimidators will continue their series with Augusta Saturday Night at 7:00 p.m., as Jason Bilous (2-4, 2.83 ERA) will take the mound for Kannapolis against Augusta's LHP Seth Corry (1-2, 2.74 ERA).
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from June 21, 2019
- Schmidt Masterful But Again Denied Win - Asheville Tourists
- Total Team Win as Fireflies Fight for First Win in Second Half - Columbia Fireflies
- Upshaw's Five RBI Propel Suns to 14-6 Victory - Hagerstown Suns
- Dominant Pitching Leads Kannapolis to Friday Night Victory - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Crawdads Down RiverDogs as Benches Clear in Game Two in Hickory - Charleston RiverDogs
- Home Runs Lead 'Dads Past RiverDogs - Hickory Crawdads
- Wilson Guides 'Birds to 50th Win - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Lexington Unable to Respond as Drive Takes Game Two - Lexington Legends
- Claws Fall 1-0 in 10 After Santos Throws Five Perfect Innings - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Kannapolis Pitching Continues to Shine with 6-1 Victory over Jackets - Augusta GreenJackets
- Sweet Deals, Honeyman Delivers in 1-0 Victory - West Virginia Power
- Fireflies Game Notes: June 21 at Asheville - Columbia Fireflies
- Shorebirds Introduce Beauchamp as Head Groundskeeper - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Game Notes (June 21) - West Virginia Power
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Take the COMET to the Ballpark on June 28 for BOGO Tickets - Columbia Fireflies
- Braves Suites Available - Rome Braves
- Vientos Homers, Fireflies Fall Short in Asheville Slugfest - Columbia Fireflies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kannapolis Cannon Ballers Stories
- Cannon Ballers Share Disappointment on Postponed Inaugural Season
- Cannon Ballers Making Strides in Community
- Kannapolis Cannon Ballers Join Minor League Baseball's CommUNITY First Campaign
- Staff Spotlight Featuring Vince Marcucci, Assistant General Manager
- Staff Spotlight Featuring Mike Wolf, Director of Stadium Operations