Swarm Snap Skid, Subdue Stars
(GREENSBORO, N.C.) - Jaylen Barford scored 26 points off the bench to power the Greensboro Swarm, the NBA G League affiliate of the Charlotte Hornets, past the Salt Lake City Stars, 126-115, on Friday at the Fieldhouse at the Greensboro Coliseum Complex. The victory ends a seven-game slide for Greensboro (5-8).
Barford and Roscoe Smith (15) combined for 41 of the Swarm's 55 points off the bench. Barford was 9-for-13 from the field while Smith pulled down seven rebounds. Joe Chealey led the Swarm starters with 23 points, eight rebounds and eight assists. Chinanu Onuaku recorded a double-double of 18 points and 15 rebounds while JP Macura (15 points) scored in double figures for the seventh time this season.
Salt Lake City (7-7) was paced by Tyler Cavanaugh and Jairus Lyles as each scored 20 points. Willie Reed had a productive 19 points and nine rebounds in 33 minutes. Isaiah Cousins, Naz Mitrou-Long and Tony Bradley all had 16-point performances.
The Swarm held the lead for the majority of the game - up as much as 16 points in the second half. Greensboro shot 50 percent as a team and aggressively attacked the rim, resulting in a 56-42 edge in points in the paint. Salt Lake City remained within striking distance, hitting on 17 three-pointers (six from Cavanaugh).
The Stars tied the game midway through the third quarter at 82, but it was all Swarm down the stretch. Barford had 12 points in the fourth quarter and Greensboro prevailed with the 11-point victory.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from December 7, 2018
- Hustle Pull Away from Iowa Wolves for 118-98 Win - Memphis Hustle
- Wolves Bow out of Contest against Hustle - Iowa Wolves
- Magic Secure Fourth Straight Win - Lakeland Magic
- Stars Drop Final Game of Road Trip to Swarm - Salt Lake City Stars
- Balanced Magic Knock off Drive - Grand Rapids Drive
- Swarm Snap Skid, Subdue Stars - Greensboro Swarm
- Nets Avenge Last Night's Loss with Win at Fort Wayne - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Memphis Hustle Acquire Marcus Keene off Waivers - Memphis Hustle
- Jawun Evans Signs Two-Way Contract with Phoenix Suns - Northern Arizona Suns
- Go-Go Beat Blue Coats for Second Straight Home Win - Capital City Go-Go
- Rockets Sign Danuel House Jr. to Two-Way Contract - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- NAZ Suns Drop Defensive Battle to Spurs - Northern Arizona Suns
- Austin Spurs Defeat Northern Arizona Suns 91-81 - Austin Spurs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Greensboro Swarm Stories
- Greensboro Swarm Adds Connor Burchfield
- Chinanu Onuaku to Participate in February Training Camp for USA Basketball's Men's World Cup Qualifying Team
- Swarm Hold off BayHawks in Front of Capacity Crowd
- Hornets Recall Bacon and Graham from Greensboro Swarm
- Red Claws End Swarm Streak