Hustle Pull Away from Iowa Wolves for 118-98 Win
Southaven, Miss. - The Memphis Hustle defeated the Iowa Wolves 118-98 Friday night at Landers Center for the team's second straight win. The Hustle improved to 7-6 overall and 6-3 at home while Iowa moved to 4-9 on the season.
Dusty Hannahs posted his fourth straight 20-point performance, tying a team-high 21 points on 6-of-11 shooting (4-6 3P). Grizzlies assignee Ivan Rabb finished one rebound shy of his second double-double in as many games (21 points, nine rebounds), shooting 9-of-16 from the field. Markel Crawford posted 16 points to go with seven boards and three assists. Tarik Phillip posted season highs of 14 points and eight rebounds.
Two-way player Jared Terrell led the Wolves in a reserve role with 21 points off the bench. Darius Johnson-Odom contributed 19 points on 6-of-12 shooting. Diamond Stone (12 points) and Jonathan Stark (11 points) also reached double digits.
Memphis slowly built a 10-point halftime lead (59-49) and led for the entire second quarter, eventually pushing the lead to 70-54 with 8:51 remaining in the third quarter. Iowa then proceeded to go on a 9-0 run over the next 2:50 before the Hustle responded with a 10-0 run of its own to push the lead back to 17.
The Wolves would sneak back into striking distance with a 12-1 run to make it an 81-76 game with 2:05 remaining in the third, but the Hustle responded yet again with an 11-0 run to push the lead back to 16 (92-76) with 11:03 remaining in the game. The Hustle would lead by as many as 22 and Iowa didn't come within single digits the rest of the way.
The Hustle defense stifled the Wolves into shooting just 36.6 percent (37-101 FG) from the field and 19.2 percent (5-26 3P) from beyond the arc. Additionally, Memphis assisted on 27 of its 43 made baskets while Iowa managed just 15 assists on its 37 field goals.
The Hustle will complete the second half of a back-to-back when the team takes on the Austin Spurs tomorrow night at 7 p.m. at H-E-B Center. The team will then return to Landers Center on Monday, December 10 at 7 p.m. against the Texas Legends. Tickets are still available starting at $10 and fans wishing to attend can purchase tickets at ticketmaster.com, the Landers Center Box Office, online at MemphisHustle.com or by calling (901) 888-HOOP.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from December 7, 2018
- Hustle Pull Away from Iowa Wolves for 118-98 Win - Memphis Hustle
- Wolves Bow out of Contest against Hustle - Iowa Wolves
- Magic Secure Fourth Straight Win - Lakeland Magic
- Stars Drop Final Game of Road Trip to Swarm - Salt Lake City Stars
- Balanced Magic Knock off Drive - Grand Rapids Drive
- Swarm Snap Skid, Subdue Stars - Greensboro Swarm
- Nets Avenge Last Night's Loss with Win at Fort Wayne - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Memphis Hustle Acquire Marcus Keene off Waivers - Memphis Hustle
- Jawun Evans Signs Two-Way Contract with Phoenix Suns - Northern Arizona Suns
- Go-Go Beat Blue Coats for Second Straight Home Win - Capital City Go-Go
- Rockets Sign Danuel House Jr. to Two-Way Contract - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- NAZ Suns Drop Defensive Battle to Spurs - Northern Arizona Suns
- Austin Spurs Defeat Northern Arizona Suns 91-81 - Austin Spurs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Memphis Hustle Stories
- Hustle Guard Tarik Phillip Signs with Washington Wizards
- Memphis Grizzlies Sign Dusty Hannahs to 10-Day Contract
- Rio Grande Valley Gets Red-Hot from Three-Point Range to Eliminate Hustle from G League Playoffs
- Memphis Hustle to Host Hustle Budweiser Watch Party for Friday's Playoff Game at Buffalo Wild Wings in Southaven
- Strowbridge's Dagger Sends Hustle to Conference Semifinals