Jawun Evans Signs Two-Way Contract with Phoenix Suns
PRESCOTT VALLEY, Ariz. - The Phoenix Suns announced today that they have signed Northern Arizona Suns guard Jawun Evans to a Two-Way contract.
This marks the first call-up of a NAZ Suns player this season and the ninth in team history. Evans becomes the second player under a Two-Way contract with the Phoenix Suns, joining forward George King.
Evans (6-0, 190 pounds) is averaging 18.5 points on 46.9 percent shooting, 4.6 assists, 4.0 rebounds and 1.6 steals in 14 games (11 starts) this season. Over his last seven games, Evans has the second most total points in the NBA G League (173). During the run, Evans posted three straight 30+ point games and five straight 20+ point contests. He is the NAZ Suns leading scorer and leader in assists average, not counting Phoenix Suns assignees.
The 22-year-old played one game on assignment in the NBA G League last year with the Agua Caliente Clippers. In 15 career games in the league, he has averaged 17.5 points, 4.6 assists and 4.0 rebounds.
Evans played 48 games (four starts) for the LA Clippers last season, averaging 4.8 points, 1.8 rebounds and 2.1 assists in 16.2 minutes per game. It was Evans' rookie year in the NBA after getting drafted by the Philadelphia 76ers in the second round (39th overall) in the 2017 NBA Draft. With the Clippers, he recorded 15 points, six rebounds, six assists and five steals against the Washington Wizards on Dec. 15., becoming one of 11 players in the NBA to tally 15+ points, 5+ rebounds, 5+ assists and 5+ steals in a game that season, one of just two rookies to do so (Philadelphia's Ben Simmons).
The Greenville, South Carolina, native played two collegiate years at Oklahoma State, where as a sophomore in 2016-17 he was first in the Big 12 Conference in assists per game (6.4 APG, ninth nationally), second in scoring (19.2 PPG), and third in steals (1.8 SPG). He was Big 12 Freshman of the Year in 2015-16.
Evans is the ninth call-up in NAZ Suns history. Other NBA call-ups in team history; Xavier Silas (Boston Celtics, 2017-18), Shaquille Harrison (Phoenix Suns, 2017-18), Josh Gray (Phoenix Suns, 2017-18), Derrick Jones Jr. (Miami Heat, 2017-18), Isaiah Canaan (Phoenix Suns, 2017-18), Elijah Millsap (Phoenix Suns, 2016-17), Johnny O'Bryant (Charlotte Hornets, Denver Nuggets, 2016-17).
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from December 7, 2018
- Hustle Pull Away from Iowa Wolves for 118-98 Win - Memphis Hustle
- Wolves Bow out of Contest against Hustle - Iowa Wolves
- Magic Secure Fourth Straight Win - Lakeland Magic
- Stars Drop Final Game of Road Trip to Swarm - Salt Lake City Stars
- Balanced Magic Knock off Drive - Grand Rapids Drive
- Swarm Snap Skid, Subdue Stars - Greensboro Swarm
- Nets Avenge Last Night's Loss with Win at Fort Wayne - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Memphis Hustle Acquire Marcus Keene off Waivers - Memphis Hustle
- Jawun Evans Signs Two-Way Contract with Phoenix Suns - Northern Arizona Suns
- Go-Go Beat Blue Coats for Second Straight Home Win - Capital City Go-Go
- Rockets Sign Danuel House Jr. to Two-Way Contract - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- NAZ Suns Drop Defensive Battle to Spurs - Northern Arizona Suns
- Austin Spurs Defeat Northern Arizona Suns 91-81 - Austin Spurs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.