Sturgeon Slams Walk-Off Shot in Season Finale
PAWTUCKET, R.I. - Cole Sturgeon's two-run, walk-off home run in the 10th inning gave the Pawtucket Red Sox (59-81) a 5-4 victory over the Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs (66-74) on Monday afternoon at McCoy Stadium to close out the 2019 season.
On a 2-2 pitch with two outs in the 10th, Sturgeon belted his third homer of the game to lead Pawtucket to a victory in the final game of the season.
Sturgeon went 4-for-5 on the day with three home runs, including the game-tying blast in the eighth inning.
The last PawSox batter to hit three home runs in a game was Mike Lowell, who accomplished the feat back in 2010.
Oscar Hernández opened the scoring in the fourth inning on a ground-rule double that hopped over the left-field wall and brought Bobby Dalbec home.
Sturgeon's first long ball of the game came in the fifth inning, and it put Pawtucket up 2-0.
Maikel Franco drew a bases-loaded walk in the seventh inning to make it 2-1.
In the eighth, Rob Brantly lifted a two-run homer over the right-field fence to put Lehigh Valley in front 3-2.
Then in the bottom of the frame, Sturgeon hit his second homer to tie the game at three.
The PawSox went to extra innings for the fourth time on this nine-game homestand.
In the tenth, Raul Rivas blooped a single to right field that scored Brantly and put the Iron Pigs up 4-3.
Pitching on three-days rest for the first time in his career, right-hander Teddy Stankiewicz fired four shutout innings. The 25-year-old finishes his first season at the Triple-A level with a 3.85 ERA, which ranks third among International League qualifiers.
The PawSox are tentatively scheduled to open the 2020 season on April 9 at home against the Syracuse Mets.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from September 2, 2019
- Reinheimer Propels Tides to 10-Inning Win - Norfolk Tides
- Knights Fall to Tides 7-6 in 10 Innings, Ending 2019 Season - Charlotte Knights
- Red Wings Attendance the Highest in a Season Since 2010 - Rochester Red Wings
- Mets Beat Red Wings, 8-4, to Force One-Game Playoff for North Division Title - Syracuse Mets
- IronPigs 2019 season ends - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Marvel Earns Another Win as Indians Blank Bats, 4-0 - Indianapolis Indians
- Kazmar's Big Day Sends Stripers to 80th Win - Gwinnett Stripers
- Sturgeon Slams Walk-Off Shot in Season Finale - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Bulls Clinch Playoff Berth Despite Loss - Durham Bulls
- Bats Drop Final Game of Season to Indians, 4-0 - Louisville Bats
- Bisons End Season on Winning Note, 5-3 over RailRiders - Buffalo Bisons
- Mets Top Wings in Season Finale - Rochester Red Wings
- RailRiders heading to a one-game playoff Tuesday vs. Syracuse at 1:05 p.m. - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Hens Close Season in Front of Sellout Crowd - Toledo Mud Hens
- Red Wings Announce 2019 Team Awards - Rochester Red Wings
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (65-74) at Louisville Bats (59-80) - Indianapolis Indians
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Scranton/Wilkes-Barre (12:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Notes: Indianapolis Indians (65-74) at Louisville Bats (59-80) - Louisville Bats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.