Knights Fall to Tides 7-6 in 10 Innings, Ending 2019 Season
(NORFOLK, VA) -- The Charlotte Knights dropped the final game of the 2019 regular season to the Norfolk Tides by a score of 7-6 in 10 innings on Monday afternoon from Harbor Park in Norfolk, VA. The Knights needed a win over the Tides and a loss by the Durham Bulls to clinch the playoffs for the first time since 2012. Durham lost their game against the Gwinnett Stripers by a score of 8-5, but the Knights fell just short in their attempt at a playoff berth with the extra-inning defeat.
Charlotte, NC native Jack Reinheimer singled home José RondÃ"n in the bottom of the 10th inning to give the Tides the come-from-behind win in the season finale. The Knights led the Tides by a score of 5-2 into the eighth inning, but the Tides scored five runs over their final three innings to earn the win.
For the Knights, 2B Nick Madrigal went a perfect 5-for-5 at the plate on Monday with two RBIs. Madrigal helped the Knights get off to a solid start with an RBI single in the third inning to give the team an early 1-0 lead. One inning later, DH YermÃ-n Mercedes launched his 17th home run of the season with the Knights, a solo shot to give the team a 2-0 lead. It was his 23rd home run of the season overall (he hit six with Birmingham).
The Knights tacked on to their 2-0 lead in the top of the fifth thanks to the second RBI single of the game from Madrigal. The Tides then battled back and added their first run of the game on a sacrifice-fly RBI in the bottom of the fifth inning from LF Ryan Mountcastle.
With the Knights ahead by a score of 3-1, Mercedes came through with a big two-run double to give the Knights a 5-1 lead at that point. The Tides added one more run on a wild pitch in the bottom of the seventh inning. With the Knights ahead by a score of 5-2, the Tides made a comeback attempt in the bottom of the eighth inning by scoring four runs to take a 6-5 lead.
In the top of the ninth inning, Mercedes tied the game with his fourth RBI of the day, a sacrifice-fly RBI. With the game now knotted at 6-6, the Charlotte bullpen held the Tides in the bottom of the ninth to push the game into extra innings.
The Knights then had runners on the corners with no outs in the top of the 10th, but were unable to push across a run. In the bottom of the 10th, the Tides manufactured a run off reliever Juan Minaya (4-3, 3.71). With RondÃ"n on second to begin the inning (extra-inning rule), catcher Martin Cervenka hit a sacrifice-fly. With RondÃ"n now on third base, and Ademar Rifaela on first base after an intentional walk, Reinheimer hit the game-winner.
RHP Dylan Covey was sharp on the day for the Knights. Covey, who got the start in the final regular season game, allowed just two runs on eight hits over 6.2 innings pitched.
The Knights will now look ahead to the 2020 season, the team's seventh in BB&T Ballpark history. The team will open the campaign on the road from Durham, NC against the Durham Bulls on Thursday, April 9. Opening Knight of the 2020 season at BB&T Ballpark is on tap for Thursday, April 16 against the Bulls.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from September 2, 2019
- Reinheimer Propels Tides to 10-Inning Win - Norfolk Tides
- Knights Fall to Tides 7-6 in 10 Innings, Ending 2019 Season - Charlotte Knights
- Red Wings Attendance the Highest in a Season Since 2010 - Rochester Red Wings
- Mets Beat Red Wings, 8-4, to Force One-Game Playoff for North Division Title - Syracuse Mets
- IronPigs 2019 season ends - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Marvel Earns Another Win as Indians Blank Bats, 4-0 - Indianapolis Indians
- Kazmar's Big Day Sends Stripers to 80th Win - Gwinnett Stripers
- Sturgeon Slams Walk-Off Shot in Season Finale - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Bulls Clinch Playoff Berth Despite Loss - Durham Bulls
- Bats Drop Final Game of Season to Indians, 4-0 - Louisville Bats
- Bisons End Season on Winning Note, 5-3 over RailRiders - Buffalo Bisons
- Mets Top Wings in Season Finale - Rochester Red Wings
- RailRiders heading to a one-game playoff Tuesday vs. Syracuse at 1:05 p.m. - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Hens Close Season in Front of Sellout Crowd - Toledo Mud Hens
- Red Wings Announce 2019 Team Awards - Rochester Red Wings
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (65-74) at Louisville Bats (59-80) - Indianapolis Indians
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Scranton/Wilkes-Barre (12:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Notes: Indianapolis Indians (65-74) at Louisville Bats (59-80) - Louisville Bats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Charlotte Knights Stories
- Knights Launch "Fields for Our Future" Presented by Truist
- "Knights Care 4 CLT" Raised over $125,000 for Those in Need
- 2020 Charlotte Area High School Senior All-Star Classic Presented by Truist Set for July 9
- Official Statement Regarding the Cancellation of the 2020 Season
- Comedian Sid Davis to Entertain Fans at Truist Field on July 2nd