IronPigs 2019 season ends
(Pawtucket, RI) - The 2019 season came to an end for both the Lehigh Valley IronPigs (66-74) and the Pawtucket Red Sox (59-81) on Labor Day. It would be the PawSox who came out on top as they beat the IronPigs 5-4 in 10 innings.
Oscar Hernandez gave Pawtucket a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the fourth inning when he hit an RBI double against Damon Jones. The PawSox extended their lead to 2-0 in the bottom of the fifth inning when Cole Sturgeon homered against Jones.
Pawtucket's Teddy Stankiewicz pitched four shutout innings before the Red Sox bullpen took over in the fifth inning. Jones allowed just two runs over six innings.
The Pigs scored a run against Tanner Houck in the top of the seventh inning to cut the PawSox lead to 2-1. Maikel Franco walked with the bases loaded to score Raul Rivas. Lehigh Valley jumped up to a 3-2 lead in the top of the eighth inning as Rob Brantly hit a two-run home run against Bobby Poyner.
Sturgeon tied the game at 3-3 against JD Hammer in the bottom of the eighth inning as he hit his second home run of the game. The game went into extra innings tied at 3-3.
The Pigs scored a run in the top of the tenth inning against Domingo Tapia (5-4). Rivas hit an RBI single to score Brantly to give the Pigs a 4-3 lead. Sturgeon won the game for Pawtucket in the bottom of the tenth inning by hitting a two-run home run against Josh Tols (1-1). It was his third home run of the game.
The IronPigs finish in fifth place in the International League North Division. Their home slate at Coca-Cola Park will begin on April 17, 2020 against the Pawtucket Red Sox.
The 2019 IronPigs season is the team's 12th as the top affiliate for the Philadelphia Phillies and 12th at Coca-Cola Park. Follow the IronPigs on Twitter at @IronPigs and like them on Facebook via www.facebook.com/LHVIronPigs.
The 2019 IronPigs season is presented by Capital BlueCross.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from September 2, 2019
- Reinheimer Propels Tides to 10-Inning Win - Norfolk Tides
- Knights Fall to Tides 7-6 in 10 Innings, Ending 2019 Season - Charlotte Knights
- Red Wings Attendance the Highest in a Season Since 2010 - Rochester Red Wings
- Mets Beat Red Wings, 8-4, to Force One-Game Playoff for North Division Title - Syracuse Mets
- IronPigs 2019 season ends - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Marvel Earns Another Win as Indians Blank Bats, 4-0 - Indianapolis Indians
- Kazmar's Big Day Sends Stripers to 80th Win - Gwinnett Stripers
- Sturgeon Slams Walk-Off Shot in Season Finale - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Bulls Clinch Playoff Berth Despite Loss - Durham Bulls
- Bats Drop Final Game of Season to Indians, 4-0 - Louisville Bats
- Bisons End Season on Winning Note, 5-3 over RailRiders - Buffalo Bisons
- Mets Top Wings in Season Finale - Rochester Red Wings
- RailRiders heading to a one-game playoff Tuesday vs. Syracuse at 1:05 p.m. - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Hens Close Season in Front of Sellout Crowd - Toledo Mud Hens
- Red Wings Announce 2019 Team Awards - Rochester Red Wings
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (65-74) at Louisville Bats (59-80) - Indianapolis Indians
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Scranton/Wilkes-Barre (12:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Notes: Indianapolis Indians (65-74) at Louisville Bats (59-80) - Louisville Bats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.