Red Wings Announce 2019 Team Awards
ROCHESTER, NY - Wilin Rosario, Zander Wiel, and Jake Reed have won Rochester Red Wings team awards for 2019.
Rosario was voted by the fans as the Most Valuable Red Wing. He batted .301/.340/.499 with 24 doubles, 19 home runs, 89 RBI, and 70 runs scored in 104 games with Rochester this season. His 89 RBI rank third in the International League and are an affiliated career-high. The total is the most by a Red Wing since Garrett Jones drove in 92 runs in 2008. Rosario hit three home runs and drove in seven runs on July 23 vs. Norfolk, becoming just the second Wing in the history of Frontier Field to hit three homers in a game at home.
Wiel was selected by the fans as the Most Popular Red Wing. Wiel batted .255/.320/.517 with 40 doubles, five triples, a team-leading 24 home runsHe leads the International League with 69 extra-base hits and 40 doubles this season. The extra-base hits are the most in the in the IL since Andy Wilkins collected 69 with Charlotte in 2014. Wiel is the first Red Wing with 69 extra-base hits in a season since Jim Fuller tallied 69 in 1973. His 40 doubles are the most in a single season by a Wing since Don Richmond had 40 in 1952. Wiel is just the sixth IL player since 2005 with at least 40 doubles in a season, last accomplished when Taylor Motter hit 43 for Durham in 2015. Wiel is second in the league with 85 runs scored (two behind the leader). That total is the most during the Twins-era and the most since Willis Otanez scored 87 times in 1998.
Reed earned Most Civic Minded for the second straight season for his work in the community. He volunteered his time at various events and programs throughout the Rochester area, including heavy involvement with Rochester Challenger Baseball.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from September 2, 2019
- Reinheimer Propels Tides to 10-Inning Win - Norfolk Tides
- Knights Fall to Tides 7-6 in 10 Innings, Ending 2019 Season - Charlotte Knights
- Red Wings Attendance the Highest in a Season Since 2010 - Rochester Red Wings
- Mets Beat Red Wings, 8-4, to Force One-Game Playoff for North Division Title - Syracuse Mets
- IronPigs 2019 season ends - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Marvel Earns Another Win as Indians Blank Bats, 4-0 - Indianapolis Indians
- Kazmar's Big Day Sends Stripers to 80th Win - Gwinnett Stripers
- Sturgeon Slams Walk-Off Shot in Season Finale - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Bulls Clinch Playoff Berth Despite Loss - Durham Bulls
- Bats Drop Final Game of Season to Indians, 4-0 - Louisville Bats
- Bisons End Season on Winning Note, 5-3 over RailRiders - Buffalo Bisons
- Mets Top Wings in Season Finale - Rochester Red Wings
- RailRiders heading to a one-game playoff Tuesday vs. Syracuse at 1:05 p.m. - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Hens Close Season in Front of Sellout Crowd - Toledo Mud Hens
- Red Wings Announce 2019 Team Awards - Rochester Red Wings
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (65-74) at Louisville Bats (59-80) - Indianapolis Indians
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Scranton/Wilkes-Barre (12:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Notes: Indianapolis Indians (65-74) at Louisville Bats (59-80) - Louisville Bats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rochester Red Wings Stories
- "Grab a Seat" at Frontier Field with Fan Cutout Pack
- Red Wings 2020 Season Cancelled
- City of Rochester Mayor Warren Announces ROC'N Drive-In, Partnership with MVP Health Care, Rochester Red Wings and the Cinema Theater
- Red Wings to Host Dinner on the Diamond
- Red Wings Extend Fan Safety Netting to Both Berms