RailRiders heading to a one-game playoff Tuesday vs. Syracuse at 1:05 p.m.
MOOSIC, PA - The Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders concluded the 2019 regular season by falling to the Buffalo Bisons Monday afternoon at PNC Field. With the 5-3 loss- coupled with a victory by the Syracuse Mets over the Rochester Red Wings- the RailRiders are set to host a one-game playoff game Tuesday at 1:05 p.m. at PNC Field.
The RailRiders fell behind early in the contest as Andy Burns hit a two-run home run for Buffalo in the top of the first inning just 10 pitches into the game off Josh Maciejewski. In the bottom of the inning, Trey Amburgey doubled and advanced to third on a wild pitch. Then Breyvic Valera singled and drove home Amburgey and Scranton/Wilkes-Barre cut the deficit to 2-1.
In the top of the second, Jonathan Davis smacked an RBI base-hit and plated an additional run for the Bisons, extending the lead to 3-1. Anthony Alford for Buffalo and Mandy Alvarez for Scranton/Wilkes-Barre traded leadoff home runs in the third and fourth innings to keep the Bisons advantage at two runs, making it 4-2.
The Bisons kept charging ahead in the top of the sixth inning as Forrest Wall hit a leadoff home run in the inning to give Buffalo its second three-run lead of the night at 5-2. In the bottom of the seventh with the bases loaded, Scranton/Wilkes-Barre plated a run on a wild pitch by Buffalo reliever Kirby Snead to make it 5-3, but stranded a pair of runners in scoring position as the inning came to a close with the go-ahead run at the plate.
Moving into the bottom half of the ninth inning trailing by a pair of runs, Zack Zehner began the frame with a leadoff walk for the RailRiders. From there, SWB couldn't get any additional momentum against Bisons closer Bryan Baker who picked up his third save of the year with a scoreless ninth inning. The winning pitcher was Ryan Feierabend who improved to 6-5 after entering for Sean Reid-Foley with a scoreless, seven-pitch fifth inning. The loss was tagged to Maciejewski who surrendered four runs over 3.0 innings in his third career Triple-A appearance.
The RailRiders and Syracuse Mets go head-to-head Tuesday at 1:05 p.m. in a one-game playoff to determine the International League North Division title. For tickets and more information, call (570) 969-BALL or slide to www.swbrailriders.com/tickets.
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders Record:
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from September 2, 2019
- Reinheimer Propels Tides to 10-Inning Win - Norfolk Tides
- Knights Fall to Tides 7-6 in 10 Innings, Ending 2019 Season - Charlotte Knights
- Red Wings Attendance the Highest in a Season Since 2010 - Rochester Red Wings
- Mets Beat Red Wings, 8-4, to Force One-Game Playoff for North Division Title - Syracuse Mets
- IronPigs 2019 season ends - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Marvel Earns Another Win as Indians Blank Bats, 4-0 - Indianapolis Indians
- Kazmar's Big Day Sends Stripers to 80th Win - Gwinnett Stripers
- Sturgeon Slams Walk-Off Shot in Season Finale - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Bulls Clinch Playoff Berth Despite Loss - Durham Bulls
- Bats Drop Final Game of Season to Indians, 4-0 - Louisville Bats
- Bisons End Season on Winning Note, 5-3 over RailRiders - Buffalo Bisons
- Mets Top Wings in Season Finale - Rochester Red Wings
- RailRiders heading to a one-game playoff Tuesday vs. Syracuse at 1:05 p.m. - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Hens Close Season in Front of Sellout Crowd - Toledo Mud Hens
- Red Wings Announce 2019 Team Awards - Rochester Red Wings
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (65-74) at Louisville Bats (59-80) - Indianapolis Indians
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Scranton/Wilkes-Barre (12:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Notes: Indianapolis Indians (65-74) at Louisville Bats (59-80) - Louisville Bats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders Stories
- SWB RailRiders Media Advisory- Emergency Food Drive-Thru Giveaway on May 27 at PNC Field
- Scranton/Wilkes-Barre participating in MiLB CommUNITY First Campaign
- RailRiders Join the Show with IL Clubs
- READing RailRoad Returns
- RailRiders Front Office Is Temporarily Closed