Mets Beat Red Wings, 8-4, to Force One-Game Playoff for North Division Title
Rochester, NY - The Syracuse Mets extended their season with an 8-4 victory against the Rochester Red Wings on Monday afternoon at Frontier Field. Syracuse now plays the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders in a one-game playoff on Tuesday afternoon to determine the International League North Division champion because both teams finished the season with a 75-65 record.
Syracuse (75-65) got its offense going early in the top of the first inning. With one out, Jed Lowrie singled to left field. Two batters later, Jason Krizan hit a two-out double to left field, scoring Lowrie from first base to give the Mets a 1-0 lead.
The Mets continued the scoring in the second. With one out, Braxton Lee doubled to left field, and Aaron Altherr followed with a double to center to bring home Lee and push the lead to 2-0.
Rochester (70-70) got on the board in the fourth on a two-out home run by Brandon Barnes to trim the Mets lead to one, 2-1.
Arismendy Alcantara got the run back a half-inning later. Again with two outs, Alcantara hit a solo home run to right-center field to make the score 3-1.
In the sixth inning, Krizan led off with a double. Three batters later, Altherr singled to center field to score Krizan from second and extend the Mets advantage to three, 4-1.
Syracuse put the game out of reach in the seventh, nearly simultaneous to the result of a RailRiders loss to the Bisons becoming final in Moosic, PA. Alcantara started the inning with a single, stole second base, and moved to third on a Travis Taijeron single. Danny Espinosa then singled to left to bring home Alcantara for a 5-1 edge. Two batters later, Rubén Tejada singled to right field in his first game back with Syracuse, and Taijeron scored on the hit for a 6-1 lead. Altherr capped the inning with a two-out, two-run single for his third and fourth RBIs of the day, pushing the margin to 8-1.
The Red Wings did get closer over the final two innings. In the eighth, Wilin Rosario hit a two-run home run to make the score 8-3. In the ninth, Mike Miller brought in a run on a groundout to the right side to bring Rochester within four, 8-4. Syracuse reliever Tim Peterson struck out Yeltsin Encarnacion to end the game and once again tie the RailRiders atop the North Division.
Syracuse now travels to Moosic, PA to play its one-game playoff against the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders for the North Division title on Tuesday afternoon. First pitch is set for 1:05 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from September 2, 2019
- Reinheimer Propels Tides to 10-Inning Win - Norfolk Tides
- Knights Fall to Tides 7-6 in 10 Innings, Ending 2019 Season - Charlotte Knights
- Red Wings Attendance the Highest in a Season Since 2010 - Rochester Red Wings
- Mets Beat Red Wings, 8-4, to Force One-Game Playoff for North Division Title - Syracuse Mets
- IronPigs 2019 season ends - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Marvel Earns Another Win as Indians Blank Bats, 4-0 - Indianapolis Indians
- Kazmar's Big Day Sends Stripers to 80th Win - Gwinnett Stripers
- Sturgeon Slams Walk-Off Shot in Season Finale - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Bulls Clinch Playoff Berth Despite Loss - Durham Bulls
- Bats Drop Final Game of Season to Indians, 4-0 - Louisville Bats
- Bisons End Season on Winning Note, 5-3 over RailRiders - Buffalo Bisons
- Mets Top Wings in Season Finale - Rochester Red Wings
- RailRiders heading to a one-game playoff Tuesday vs. Syracuse at 1:05 p.m. - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Hens Close Season in Front of Sellout Crowd - Toledo Mud Hens
- Red Wings Announce 2019 Team Awards - Rochester Red Wings
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (65-74) at Louisville Bats (59-80) - Indianapolis Indians
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Scranton/Wilkes-Barre (12:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Notes: Indianapolis Indians (65-74) at Louisville Bats (59-80) - Louisville Bats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Syracuse Mets Stories
- Syracuse Mets Introduce 2020 Season T-Shirt & Face Masks
- 2020 International League Championship Season Cancelled
- Mets Catcher Rene Rivera Plays for Virtual Division Title Tonight at 6:30 Live on Twitch
- Syracuse Mets Partner with Dunkin' to Bring Coffee and Donuts to Workers at COVID-19 Testing Sites in Syracuse
- Syracuse Mets Helping to Raise Money for the Food Bank of Central New York as Part of Minor League Baseball's CommUNITY First Campaign