Stockton Sweeps Series, 3-0, with 4-2 Win
LOVELAND, Colo. - The Stockton Thunder defeated the Colorado Eagles, 4-2, sweeping their best-of-five Western Conference Quarterfinals series three games to none. With the win, the 5th-seeded Thunder advance to take on the defending ECHL champion and 2011-12 regular season champion Alaska Aces in what will be a best-of-seven series.
Colorado killed two early Stockton power plays, and Aaron Slattengren nearly put the home team on top at 5:15 of the first period when his back-hand chance rung off the crossbar. But the Thunder were able to strike first 14 minutes in when Matt Foy stuffed a wraparound chance under Kyle Jones.
Stockton went on the penalty kill half a minute later, and Olivier Roy -- who was great all series long -- made a big blocker save on Kevin Ulanski from the slot halfway through the man-advantage. But following the next faceoff, Colorado was able to tie the game after a scramble in the low slot led to Jake Marto collecting the loose puck in the slot. He delayed and sent a cross-ice pass to Steve Haddon for an open look he converted.
The Eagles out-shot the Thunder, 12-6, in the second stanza, but it was Stockton that scored the period's only two goals -- both by Max Campbell. The first came two minutes in on a 5-on-3 power play when the forward laced a perfect shot outside of Aaron Schneekloth's legs and just inside the left post to make it 2-1. His second goal (and 9th in as many games against the Eagles) came with the teams skating 4-on-4 when he scored on a similar shot off a rush at 15:24.
Colorado began building momentum at the end of the second period and continued to make a final push in the third when they were able to cut Stockton's lead to 3-2 with a 5-on-3 power-play goal of their own. Riley Nelson put home a loose puck from the low slot 3:30 into the final frame, and the Eagles nearly tied the contest in the second half of the advantage, but Roy continued his stellar netminding to snuff their chances.
The Eagles had one final golden opportunity to tie the game when they were awarded another power play in the final minute, but Jordan Fulton was able to deposit the puck into Colorado's empty net with 25 seconds left to ice the game and the series.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 6, 2012
- Stingrays Defeat Gladiators in Second-Longest Game in ECHL History - South Carolina Stingrays
- Gladiators Fall in 4 OT to South Carolina 4-3 - Atlanta Gladiators
- Stockton Sweeps Series, 3-0, with 4-2 Win - Colorado Eagles
- Royals Fall in Game Three in Elmira, 5-2 - Reading Royals
- Road Warriors Eliminated By Everblades - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Late Goals Lift Jackals Past Royals - Elmira Jackals
- Kalamazoo Takes a Two Games to One Lead in the Series with a 5-1 Victory over Wheeling - Kalamazoo Wings
- Wings Take 2-1 Series Lead with 5-1 Win - Wheeling Nailers
- Aliu Becomes Second Player in Club History to Reach NHL - Colorado Eagles
- Wranglers' "Goals for Kids" Program Nets $10,000 Donation to YMCA - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Carrozzi Reassigned to Reign Playoff Roster - Ontario Reign
- ECHL Transactions - April 6 - ECHL
- Game Preview (Game 3): Stockton Thunder (#5) at Colorado Eagles (#4) - Stockton Thunder
- 2012-13 Road Warriors Season Ticket Packages Unveiled - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- ECHL Surpasses 3-Million Fans for 19th Consecutive Season - ECHL
- Countdown to Face-Off - Kalamazoo Wings
- Colorado's Costello Named CCM ECHL Most Valuable Player - ECHL
- Kings To Play Ducks In 2012 Preseason Game In Ontario Citizens Business Bank Arena - Ontario Reign
- Forney to Return to Eagles Lineup in Time for Game 3 Tonight - Colorado Eagles
- Jackals Playoff Game Preview: Elmira Vs. Reading - Elmira Jackals
- Jeff Prough Loaned To Greenville - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Greenville Road Warriors Game Preview - April 6, 2012 - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- ECHL Announces Fine - ECHL
- Chicago Express Cease Operations - ECHL
- Thunder Reassigned Defenseman Ryan Lowery - Stockton Thunder
- Stingrays Kelly Cup Quest Daily - South Carolina Stingrays
- Aliu Becomes 490th ECHL Player to Reach NHL - ECHL
- Express Withdraw from ECHL - Chicago Express
- Stingrays Gameday: Stingrays and Gladiators Meet in Game Three Tonight - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Today - April 6 - ECHL
- Wranglers Sweep Grizzlies, Advance to Second Round of Playoffs - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Grizzlies Season Ends in Las Vegas - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.