Gladiators Fall in 4 OT to South Carolina 4-3
DULUTH, Ga. - After 124:19 of play, the Gwinnett Gladiators dropped a 4-3 decision to the South Carolina Stingrays Friday night at the Arena at Gwinnett Center in the fourth overtime. Zach Takir scored the game-winner for the Stingrays at 4:19 of the extra session. South Carolina leads the best of five ECHL Eastern Conference Quarterfinals 2-games-to-1. Game four of the series is scheduled for Sunday at 2:05 p.m.
Defenseman Dallas Jackson broke a scoreless tie at 6:39 into the opening period. Jackson picked up a centering feed from Pat Galivan and beat the Stingrays netminder Rob Madore in the upper right corner of the net. Joey Haddad had the other assist.
South Carolina answered at 9:18 right as a five-on-three power play expired with a goal from Johann Kroll. Maxime Lacroix and Zach Takir collected the helpers on the tying goal.
The Gladiators and Stingrays ended the first period tied 1-1.
At 8:12 into the middle stanza, Jackson fired a shot at the goal from the left wing circle. Madore deflected the puck off of his leg pad, but Andy Brandt picked up the rebound and jammed it home to give Gwinnett a 2-1 lead.
At the other end of the ice, Stingrays Matt Scherer beat goaltender Marc Cheverie with a backhanded a goal to even the score 2-2 at 10:51. Greg Stewart and Dustin Stevenson had the assists.
Jacob Drewiske notched his first professional postseason goal on a redirection from Paul Flache at the right wing circle to give the Gladiators a 3-2 advantage at 15:18 of the second period. Defenseman Sean Duddy notched a point on the helper. The Gladiators ended the period on top 3-2, outshooting the Stingrays 20-to-16.
Just 2:15 into the final period, Stevenson picked up his second point on the night with a tying goal from the slot. The third period ended tied at three and proceeded to the Gladiators first overtime of the postseason.
In the fourth overtime period, the Stingrays Takir scored the game-winner with 15:41 left in the seventh stanza.
In the lost, the Gladiators played the second longest game in ECHL history and outshot South Carolina 57-to-48.
The Gladiators will return to the Arena at Gwinnett Center to host South Carolina for Game Four on Sunday at 2:05 p.m.
The Gladiators are the ECHL Affiliate of the Buffalo Sabres and the Phoenix Coyotes of the National Hockey League and are members of the ECHL, the Premier "AA" Hockey League and play all home games at the 11,355-seat Arena at Gwinnett Center, located just off I-85 on Sugarloaf Parkway in Duluth.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 6, 2012
- Stingrays Defeat Gladiators in Second-Longest Game in ECHL History - South Carolina Stingrays
- Gladiators Fall in 4 OT to South Carolina 4-3 - Atlanta Gladiators
- Stockton Sweeps Series, 3-0, with 4-2 Win - Colorado Eagles
- Royals Fall in Game Three in Elmira, 5-2 - Reading Royals
- Road Warriors Eliminated By Everblades - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Late Goals Lift Jackals Past Royals - Elmira Jackals
- Kalamazoo Takes a Two Games to One Lead in the Series with a 5-1 Victory over Wheeling - Kalamazoo Wings
- Wings Take 2-1 Series Lead with 5-1 Win - Wheeling Nailers
- Aliu Becomes Second Player in Club History to Reach NHL - Colorado Eagles
- Wranglers' "Goals for Kids" Program Nets $10,000 Donation to YMCA - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Carrozzi Reassigned to Reign Playoff Roster - Ontario Reign
- ECHL Transactions - April 6 - ECHL
- Game Preview (Game 3): Stockton Thunder (#5) at Colorado Eagles (#4) - Stockton Thunder
- 2012-13 Road Warriors Season Ticket Packages Unveiled - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- ECHL Surpasses 3-Million Fans for 19th Consecutive Season - ECHL
- Countdown to Face-Off - Kalamazoo Wings
- Colorado's Costello Named CCM ECHL Most Valuable Player - ECHL
- Kings To Play Ducks In 2012 Preseason Game In Ontario Citizens Business Bank Arena - Ontario Reign
- Forney to Return to Eagles Lineup in Time for Game 3 Tonight - Colorado Eagles
- Jackals Playoff Game Preview: Elmira Vs. Reading - Elmira Jackals
- Jeff Prough Loaned To Greenville - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Greenville Road Warriors Game Preview - April 6, 2012 - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- ECHL Announces Fine - ECHL
- Chicago Express Cease Operations - ECHL
- Thunder Reassigned Defenseman Ryan Lowery - Stockton Thunder
- Stingrays Kelly Cup Quest Daily - South Carolina Stingrays
- Aliu Becomes 490th ECHL Player to Reach NHL - ECHL
- Express Withdraw from ECHL - Chicago Express
- Stingrays Gameday: Stingrays and Gladiators Meet in Game Three Tonight - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Today - April 6 - ECHL
- Wranglers Sweep Grizzlies, Advance to Second Round of Playoffs - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Grizzlies Season Ends in Las Vegas - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Atlanta Gladiators Stories
- Five Players Sign PTOs, Added to Training Camp Roster
- Gladiators Announce Multiple Schedule Changes with Greenville
- Experience, Depth and Toughness Added as Glads Increase Roster by Three
- Veteran Defender Kevin Montgomery Inked by Atlanta
- Gladiators Announce Details of Team's First Ever 5k Race/Walk