Late Goals Lift Jackals Past Royals
Elmira, N.Y. - The Elmira Jackals earned their first victory of the postseason on Friday night at First Arena, scoring three goals late in Game 3 of the best-of-five Eastern Conference Quarterfinals to beat the Reading Royals, 5-2. The Jackals now trail the series, two games to one, and will host the Royals in Game 4 on Saturday night at 7:05 p.m.
For the third-straight game to start the series, Reading took a 1-0 lead, as Ian O'Connor's wrist shot from the right circle deflected past Brian Stewart at 9:10.
Mike Radja took a tip pass from Dustin Gazley in the high slot, stickhandled in toward Mark Owuya, and then snapped a puck off the netminder's glove and in, as Elmira tied the game, 1-1, at 16:54.
Zach McKelvie's wrist shot from the blue line redirected off of a falling Olivier Labelle and in with 3.7 seconds to go in the period, giving Reading a 2-1 advantage after one.
The Jackals tied the game early in the second period, as Craig Rivet took a feed from Artem Demkov and lifted a puck past Owuya from the right circle, making it 2-2 at 3:36.
With the clock winding down in the third period, Nick Dineen recovered after getting hit in the leg by a Mario Larocque shot moments earlier, found the puck in the right circle, and fired it past Owuya and in to give the Jackals their first lead of the series, 3-2, at 16:17.
Radja blasted in a centering feed in the slot from Gazley one minute later, extending the Jackals' lead to 4-2 at 17:17.
Rob Bellamy rolled in an empty-netter at 19:00 of the final frame, capping the scoring at 5-2.
Stewart (1-1) made 18 saves on 20 shots for his second-career postseason win. Owuya (2-1) stopped 29 of 33 shots in the loss.
The Jackals and the Royals battle in Game 4 at 7:05 p.m. at First Arena on Saturday night. To reserve your seats call (607) 734-PUCK (7825), visit the First Arena Box Office, or log onto JackalsHockey.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 6, 2012
- Stingrays Defeat Gladiators in Second-Longest Game in ECHL History - South Carolina Stingrays
- Gladiators Fall in 4 OT to South Carolina 4-3 - Atlanta Gladiators
- Stockton Sweeps Series, 3-0, with 4-2 Win - Colorado Eagles
- Royals Fall in Game Three in Elmira, 5-2 - Reading Royals
- Road Warriors Eliminated By Everblades - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Late Goals Lift Jackals Past Royals - Elmira Jackals
- Kalamazoo Takes a Two Games to One Lead in the Series with a 5-1 Victory over Wheeling - Kalamazoo Wings
- Wings Take 2-1 Series Lead with 5-1 Win - Wheeling Nailers
- Aliu Becomes Second Player in Club History to Reach NHL - Colorado Eagles
- Wranglers' "Goals for Kids" Program Nets $10,000 Donation to YMCA - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Carrozzi Reassigned to Reign Playoff Roster - Ontario Reign
- ECHL Transactions - April 6 - ECHL
- Game Preview (Game 3): Stockton Thunder (#5) at Colorado Eagles (#4) - Stockton Thunder
- 2012-13 Road Warriors Season Ticket Packages Unveiled - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- ECHL Surpasses 3-Million Fans for 19th Consecutive Season - ECHL
- Countdown to Face-Off - Kalamazoo Wings
- Colorado's Costello Named CCM ECHL Most Valuable Player - ECHL
- Kings To Play Ducks In 2012 Preseason Game In Ontario Citizens Business Bank Arena - Ontario Reign
- Forney to Return to Eagles Lineup in Time for Game 3 Tonight - Colorado Eagles
- Jackals Playoff Game Preview: Elmira Vs. Reading - Elmira Jackals
- Jeff Prough Loaned To Greenville - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Greenville Road Warriors Game Preview - April 6, 2012 - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- ECHL Announces Fine - ECHL
- Chicago Express Cease Operations - ECHL
- Thunder Reassigned Defenseman Ryan Lowery - Stockton Thunder
- Stingrays Kelly Cup Quest Daily - South Carolina Stingrays
- Aliu Becomes 490th ECHL Player to Reach NHL - ECHL
- Express Withdraw from ECHL - Chicago Express
- Stingrays Gameday: Stingrays and Gladiators Meet in Game Three Tonight - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Today - April 6 - ECHL
- Wranglers Sweep Grizzlies, Advance to Second Round of Playoffs - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Grizzlies Season Ends in Las Vegas - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.