Stockton Stifled in Saddledome Finale
CALGARY, AB - Giorgio Estephan netted his second goal of the season for the Stockton Heat (10-14-1-0), but behind 28 saves from Filip Gustavsson the Belleville Senators (10-12-1-0) took Saturday's matinee by a 4-1 final score at the Scotiabank Saddledome.
For the second consecutive game it was the Senators jumping on top first, Jonathan Aspirot's marker midway through the first giving the visitors the early edge. Giorgio Estephan responded for the home team in the second, taking a pass from Emilio Pettersen and firing a shot past Gustavsson to draw even 8:11 into the middle frame.
The draw did not last long, as J-C Beaudin put the Senators back in front 1:44 later, a lead that grew to two with 2:09 remaining in the frame for a 3-1 lead after 40 minutes.
Belleville then punctuated the scoring with an empty netter in the waning minutes.
The Heat will close out the regular season with a five-game series in Winnipeg against the Manitoba Moose, starting April 22.
- Dominik Simon skated in his first game with the Stockton Heat, his first game in the AHL since December 30, 2017 with Wilkes Barre-Scranton.
- Yan Kuznetsov made his professional debut in the game.
- Giorgio Estephan netted his second goal of the season, both coming against the Senators.
- Emilio Pettersen snapped a five-game pointless streak with an assist on Estephan's score.
- Colton Beck notched his third assist in the last four games with a helper on Estephan's score.
- Stockton finishes its 11-game home schedule with a 2-8-1 record at the Scotiabank Saddledome.
STK PP - 0-6
STK PK - 4-5
First - Jonathan Aspirot (1 goal, 1 assist)
Second - Angus Crookshank (2 assists)
Third - J-C Beaudin (1 goal)
W - Filip Gustavsson (28 saves on 29 shots faced)
L - Garret Sparks (10 saves on 13 shots faced)
The Heat will conclude their regular season with a five-game set at Manitoba, starting April 22 in Winnipeg.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 17, 2021
- Penguins Beaten by Crunch, 4-1 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Stars Drop Final Game in San Jose 4-2 - Texas Stars
- Wild Beat Griffins 4-3 in Overtime - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Wild Clip Griffins in Overtime 4-3 - Iowa Wild
- Crunch Defeat Penguins, 4-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Wolves Fall in Shootout at Rockford - Chicago Wolves
- Amerks Drop Third Straight to Monsters - Rochester Americans
- Monsters Extend Win Streak to Six Games, Beat Amerks 6-3 - Cleveland Monsters
- Admirals Sign Solow to AHL Deal - Milwaukee Admirals
- Stockton Stifled in Saddledome Finale - Stockton Heat
- Fulcher Reassigned by Detroit, Boyle and Veleno Join Taxi Squad - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Bears Win Fourth Straight, Double up Devils 6-3 - Hershey Bears
- Florida Panthers Announce Player Moves - Syracuse Crunch
- Appleby, Sound Tigers End Skid against Streaking Hartford - Bridgeport Islanders
- Winning Streak Ends in Shutout Loss - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Schnarr Scores Again in 6-3 Loss to Bears - Binghamton Devils
- Columbus Blue Jackets Sign 2017 Sixth Round Pick Carson Meyer to a One-Year Entry Level Contract - Cleveland Monsters
- Heat Battle Belleville in Regular Season Home Finale - Stockton Heat
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Heat, April 17th - Belleville Senators
- Game #25 Tucson at Henderson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Condors Welcome Fans Back in Primetime at 8 p.m. against San Diego - Bakersfield Condors
- Sound Tigers Face Wolf Pack in Fourth Straight Tilt - Bridgeport Islanders
- Barracuda Dim Stars 5-3 - San Jose Barracuda
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.