Stampede rumble over Fort Worth
BOISE, Idaho (January 25, 2007) - Despite a league season-high by Fort Worth Flyer and Dallas Maverick assignee Jose Barea, with 43 points, the Idaho Stampede defeated the Flyers 116-108 at Qwest Arena in Boise, ID. Barea was 18 of 24 from the field for the game, including 4 of 7 from behind the arc.
Idaho began the fourth quarter with a four-point lead, which quickly evaporated to an eight-point deficit on a Fort Worth 12-0 run. The Flyers' lead stretched to nine with 5:21 left in the game, but the Stampede bounced back on a 10-0 run of their own to take a one point lead with 3:02 left on the clock, capped off by a C.J. Miles three-point play.
The Flyers scored only one three point basket in the final 2:15 of the game, and Idaho capitalized on six made free throws and a big three-pointer by Ricky Sanchez with under a minute to play to seal the victory.
"Down the stretch were able to stop their pick and roll a couple of times," said Stampede Head Coach Bryan Gates. "And we found something that worked with Ronell's (Taylor) penetration."
The Stampede had five players in double figure scoring, led by Taylor's season-high 32 points. Peter Ramos had a double double with 19 points and 11 rebounds. Miles finished with 18 points, and Sanchez contributed 16, both off the bench. Randy Livingston had 11 points and 15 rebounds and Mouhamed Sene snatched 11 rebounds.
Led by Barea, the Flyers had five players in double figures. Terrance Thomas scored 21 points and grabbed nine rebounds, Kevin Burleson had 14 points, Chris Copeland contributed 13 points, and Pops Mensah-Bonsu added 11 points.
Idaho (17-8) stays home to play the Austin Toros next Wednesday, January 31, while Fort Worth (14-7) returns home to play the Dakota Wizards on Sunday, January 28.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 26, 2007
- Arsenal Use Late Comeback to Top T-Birds 103-98 - Anaheim Arsenal
- Buckman, Woods help keep Toros win streak alive - Austin Spurs
- Tulsa eases past Sioux Falls - Tulsa 66ers
- 14ers Defeat D-Fenders - Los Angeles D-Fenders
- Trey backs Da Bull - New Mexico Thunderbirds
- Big Shot Shows Support for Fellow Mascot Da Bull - Fort Worth Flyers
- Toros Mascot Garners Support - Austin Spurs
- Jazz Recall C.J. Miles From D-League - Idaho Stampede
- Flyers to Host Faith and Family Night/Scout Night and Flyers Fiesta Sunday - Fort Worth Flyers
- Routie Shows Support for Fellow Mascot, Da Bull - Tulsa 66ers
- Sonics Recall Sene from D-League - Idaho Stampede
- D-League daily developments - G League
- Stampede rumble over Fort Worth - Idaho Stampede
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.