Santa Cruz Pushes Past the Stampede
SANTA CRUZ, Calif. - The defending NBA D-League Champion Santa Cruz Warriors (17-28) defeated the Idaho Stampede (18-29) 107-96 at Kaiser Permanente Arena Friday night in front of a sell-out crowd. Tonight's game marks the Santa Cruz Warriors' fifth consecutive sell-out at Kaiser Permanente Arena.
Xavier Henry paced the Warriors with 24 points, 21 of which came in the second half, while Darington Hobson added 22 points, 5 rebounds, and 4 assists. Verdell Jones III posted 17 points, 7 rebounds, and 3 assists in the win over Idaho.
J.J. O'Brien notched 26 points, six boards, and three assists for Idaho. Corey Hawkins scored 20 points to go with five rebounds and three steals.
The Warriors would open the game on an 8-0 run, keeping the Stampede scoreless until the 9:29 mark in the first quarter. Idaho would slowly chip away at the Santa Cruz lead to eventually eclipse the Warriors' advantage and take the 24-23 edge heading into the second period.
The opening minutes of the second quarter would see a tightly-contested battle until Ronnie Brewer went on a nine-point scoring spree midway through the frame to give Santa Cruz a 49-40 lead with two minutes left to play in the half. Santa Cruz held onto the six-point advantage heading into the break.
Idaho opened the second half on a 13-2 run to secure a five-point advantage by the 7:42 mark in the third quarter. The Stampede would extend their lead to as many as eleven points before the Warriors battled back with a 12-2 run to come within one point with two minutes left to go in the quarter. Idaho would hold onto a two-point advantage to enter the final frame.
Idaho and Santa Cruz would stay close to open the fourth quarter until the Warriors went on a 9-0 run to take an 84-78 lead by the 8:23 mark. The Stampede scored five points in less than a minute to trail Santa Cruz by one point midway through the period. Santa Cruz's 15-5 run would grant the hosts a double-digit lead, an advantage they would never relinquish to Idaho.
The Santa Cruz Warriors will travel to Los Angeles to take on the D-Fenders on March 26 at 6:30 p.m. PST at Kaiser Permanente Arena. Fans can watch the game on YouTube by visiting santacruzbasketball.com at tip-off.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from March 25, 2016
- Vipers Clinch Playoff Berth with 139-125 Win over Bakersfield - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Austin Spurs Fall to Maine Red Claws - Austin Spurs
- Jam Dropped by Vipers - Bakersfield Jam
- Red Claws Snap Losing Streak - Maine Red Claws
- Blue Falls to Legends - Oklahoma City Blue
- Skyforce Top 87ers 99-93 in Overtime - Delaware Blue Coats
- Charge Get Win in Front of Capacity Crowd - Canton Charge
- Devin Ebanks Scores 26, But Grand Rapids Falls to Canton - Grand Rapids Drive
- Home All-Stars Defeat Away All-Stars 94-82 in Central Texas Annual Boys' All-Star Game - Austin Spurs
- Charge Make Roster Moves - Canton Charge
- Red Claws Add Jayvaughn Pinkston - Maine Red Claws
- Pelicans Sign Jordan Hamilton to 10-Day Contract - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Josh Huestis Assigned to Oklahoma City Blue - Oklahoma City Blue
- Nuggets Sign Axel Toupane to Multi-Year Contract - Raptors 905
- Santa Cruz Pushes Past the Stampede - Idaho Stampede
- Santa Cruz Pushes Past the Stampede - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Legends Slip in Second Half in Austin - Texas Legends
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.