Routie Shows Support for Fellow Mascot, Da Bull
TULSA, Okla., January 26, 2007 - In a show of solidarity for a fellow mascot, Routie the Roadrunner will perform an additional 50 hours of community service in the Tulsa area during the remainder of the 2006-07 NBA Development League season.
Routie was already scheduled for dozens of hours of community service, along with the players and coaches Joey Meyer and Roy Rogers, but felt strongly that he should help serve part of the suspension served by Da Bull of the Austin Toros.
Da Bull made national news this week when he prematurely ran onto the court and hung from the rim before the conclusion of the Austin Toros' game against the Colorado 14ers at the Austin Convention center Wednesday. Da Bull's actions led to a technical foul and brought the 14ers within three points with .4 seconds remaining, enough time for a game-tying shot. Fortunately for the Toros -- and especially Da Bull -- Rick Rickert's shot missed and the Toros won 101-98.
Routie will also wear a black armband in support of Da Bull these next two games, while Da Bull sits out.
Routie has already served more than 100 hours of community service since landing in Tulsa over a year ago. Routie has visited local schools including Hoover Elementary, Lanier Elementary, Bixby Middle School, Moore Elementary, Jenks and many others. The Roadrunner has also given back to the community by supporting charities and foundations such as the Muscular Dystrophy Association, Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, Little Lighthouse, Downs Syndrome Association, Special Olympics, JDRF and Campfire USA, to name a few.
Routie and the Tulsa 66ers are dedicated to leave a lasting legacy in Green Country by supporting fitness and education programs for kids and families. The success of our organization is not only measured in wins and losses, but also the number of lives we touch along the way.
Support Da Bull!
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 26, 2007
- Arsenal Use Late Comeback to Top T-Birds 103-98 - Anaheim Arsenal
- Buckman, Woods help keep Toros win streak alive - Austin Spurs
- Tulsa eases past Sioux Falls - Tulsa 66ers
- 14ers Defeat D-Fenders - Los Angeles D-Fenders
- Trey backs Da Bull - New Mexico Thunderbirds
- Big Shot Shows Support for Fellow Mascot Da Bull - Fort Worth Flyers
- Toros Mascot Garners Support - Austin Spurs
- Jazz Recall C.J. Miles From D-League - Idaho Stampede
- Flyers to Host Faith and Family Night/Scout Night and Flyers Fiesta Sunday - Fort Worth Flyers
- Routie Shows Support for Fellow Mascot, Da Bull - Tulsa 66ers
- Sonics Recall Sene from D-League - Idaho Stampede
- D-League daily developments - G League
- Stampede rumble over Fort Worth - Idaho Stampede
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.