South Bay Drops First Game of 2019 to the Blue
EL SEGUNDO - The South Bay Lakers fell to the Oklahoma City Blue, 114-107, on Thursday night. South Bay (10-13) was led by a 16-point, 12-rebound double-double from Travis Wear and 20 points from Svi Mykhailiuk. Deonte Burton paced the Blue (17-5) with a game-high 23 points.
The two teams were tightly contested after one, with Oklahoma City taking a slight 22-20 lead. Isaac Bonga and Mykhailiuk paced the Lakers with a combined 12 points in the opening quarter. The Blue went into the half with a 49-46 lead as Richard Solomon scored nine points in the second frame. Joel Berry II and Johnathan Williams combined for 10 points in the second to keep the Lakers within striking distance.
The two teams went into the final period knotted up at 81 points apiece. Berry II scored eight points in the third to help overcome a nine-point OKC lead. The two teams went back and forth in the final quarter, but 15 points from Bryce Alford in the fourth sealed the win for the Blue.
Burton did most of his damage from the free throw line, converting 11-14 from the stripe on his way to 23 points. Alford finished with 21 points and Kevin Hervey led the second unit with 15 points. Abdul Gaddy tallied 13 points and nine assists, while Donte Grantham (12 points), Solomon (11 points) and Chris Wright (10 points) all scored in double figures for the Blue.
Wear grabbed his second double-double of the season and Mykhailiuk scored a team-high 20 points. Moe Wagner finished with 15 points and eight rebounds as Berry II led the bench with 18 points. Bonga tallied 12 points and Scott Machado stuffed the stat sheet with seven points, six rebounds and 10 assists.
South Bay will hit the road to face the Rio Grande Valley Vipers on Monday, January 7 at 5:00pm PT from the Bert Ogden Arena in Edinburg, TX.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 4, 2019
- Charge Lose in Overtime 122-117 - Canton Charge
- Knicks' Irvin Registers Career-High To Avenge Earlier Season Loss To 905, 113-110 - Westchester Knicks
- Fair's Buzzer Beater Leads Bulls to Seventh Consecutive Win - Windy City Bulls
- Bulls Blow Past BayHawks - Erie BayHawks
- Greensboro Falls to Lakeland - Greensboro Swarm
- Hicks' Career-High 32 Points Lead Mad Ants to Win against Wisconsin - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Trail Blazers Transfer Wade Baldwin to NBA G League's Texas Legends - Texas Legends
- Long Island Nets Acquire Okaro White - Long Island Nets
- Timberwolves Assign Keita Bates-Diop to G League Affiliate Iowa Wolves - Iowa Wolves
- Team Effort Helps Blue Hold off Lakers - Oklahoma City Blue
- Knicks Look to Avenge Earlier Season Loss to Raptors - Westchester Knicks
- South Bay Drops First Game of 2019 to the Blue - South Bay Lakers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent South Bay Lakers Stories
- South Bay Lakers Announce Preseason Game with Northern Arizona
- South Bay Acquires Returning Player Rights to Reggie Hearn and David Stockton
- South Bay Lakers Announce 2019-20 Regular Season Schedule
- Scott Machado Named NBA G League Player of the Month
- South Bay Drops Final Game of the Season