Greensboro Falls to Lakeland
(GREENSBORO, N.C.) - The Greensboro Swarm (11-11), the NBA G League affiliate of the Charlotte Hornets, dropped its first contest of 2019 to the Lakeland Magic (11-9), 117-107, Friday at the Fieldhouse at the Greensboro Coliseum Complex. Troy Caupain scored a game-high 31 points for Lakeland while Jaylen Barford's 22 points led Greensboro.
Five other players reached double-figures for Greensboro. On assignment from the Hornets, Dwayne Bacon scored 19 points. Chinanu Onuaku put up 12 points, eight rebounds and four assists. Luke Petrasek scored a season-high 15 points on 6-of-8 shooting. Joe Chealey (13 points) and Cat Barber (10 points) provided quality minutes for the Swarm.
Gabe York added 27 points of his own for Lakeland. Caupain and York shot a combined 19-for-34 from the field with seven threes. BJ Johnson (16 points), Melvin Frazier (11 points) and Braian Angola-Rodas (15 points) rounded out the top performers for the Magic.
Neither team could find much separation early on. Chealey paced all players with nine points to begin the contest. Troy Caupain led the Magic with seven points and as the Swarm remained ahead, 25-23, after one.
Barford turned it up in the second period for the Swarm, scoring seven straight points in the frame. However, the game was tied at half (51-51).
The Magic came out fast with a, 10-3, run early in the third quarter. Not to be outdone, Petrasek connected on a three of his own to cut the eight-point deficit back to five for the Swarm. Greensboro would keep pace with the Magic, narrowly trailing (84-81) entering the final 12 minutes.
Greensboro opened the fourth with a 5-0 run, sparking a quick timeout by Lakeland. The Magic got hot from long range, hitting a trio of threes pull away.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 4, 2019
- Charge Lose in Overtime 122-117 - Canton Charge
- Knicks' Irvin Registers Career-High To Avenge Earlier Season Loss To 905, 113-110 - Westchester Knicks
- Fair's Buzzer Beater Leads Bulls to Seventh Consecutive Win - Windy City Bulls
- Bulls Blow Past BayHawks - Erie BayHawks
- Greensboro Falls to Lakeland - Greensboro Swarm
- Hicks' Career-High 32 Points Lead Mad Ants to Win against Wisconsin - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Trail Blazers Transfer Wade Baldwin to NBA G League's Texas Legends - Texas Legends
- Long Island Nets Acquire Okaro White - Long Island Nets
- Timberwolves Assign Keita Bates-Diop to G League Affiliate Iowa Wolves - Iowa Wolves
- Team Effort Helps Blue Hold off Lakers - Oklahoma City Blue
- Knicks Look to Avenge Earlier Season Loss to Raptors - Westchester Knicks
- South Bay Drops First Game of 2019 to the Blue - South Bay Lakers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Greensboro Swarm Stories
- Greensboro Swarm Announce 2019-20 Theme and Promotion Schedule
- Greensboro Swarm Acquires Returning Player Rights to Joel Berry II from South Bay Lakers
- Greensboro Swarm Complete Trade with Canton Charge
- Charlotte Hornets Sign Ahmed Hill to Two-Way Contract
- Greensboro Swarm Announce 2019-20 Schedule