Team Effort Helps Blue Hold off Lakers
EL SEGUNDO, Calif. - The Oklahoma City Blue (17-5) defeated the South Bay Lakers (10-13), 114-107, on Thursday night.
Oklahoma City jumped out to a quick 6-0 advantage before South Bay charged back and took a 14-8 lead midway through the first quarter. The Blue then made a 14-1 run to gain a 22-15 edge. The Lakers kept it interesting all game, never letting Oklahoma City get ahead by more than single digits.
Teams entered the fourth knotted at 81 apiece and the Blue then kicked off the final frame with a 9-0 run punctuated by a Bryce Alford three-pointer to put the visitors up 93-85. With two minutes remaining, the Lakers had cut the deficit to two at 109-107 before five consecutive free throws put the game out of reach.
The Blue had seven players in double figures, led by two-way player Deonte Burton who outscored all players with 23 points, three assists and two rebounds. Fellow two-way player Donte Grantham recorded 12 points, eight rebounds, three assists and two blocks while Bryce Alford drained four three-pointers to finish with 21 points, five rebounds and three assists, of which all but one point came in the second half of play.
Abdul Gaddy went 5-of-7 from the field and 3-of-4 from beyond the arc to log 13 points, nine assists and six rebounds. From the bench, Kevin Hervey drained three shots from long range to tally 15 points and five rebounds. Chris Wright went 3-for-5 from the floor to register 10 points, four rebounds and three assists.
Lakers assignment player Svi Mykhailiuk led South Bay with 20 points and five assists.
The Blue will return to action tomorrow night when the team makes the short trip to Ontario to take on the Agua Caliente Clippers at 9 p.m. CST inside Citizens Business Bank Arena.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 4, 2019
- Charge Lose in Overtime 122-117 - Canton Charge
- Knicks' Irvin Registers Career-High To Avenge Earlier Season Loss To 905, 113-110 - Westchester Knicks
- Fair's Buzzer Beater Leads Bulls to Seventh Consecutive Win - Windy City Bulls
- Bulls Blow Past BayHawks - Erie BayHawks
- Greensboro Falls to Lakeland - Greensboro Swarm
- Hicks' Career-High 32 Points Lead Mad Ants to Win against Wisconsin - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Trail Blazers Transfer Wade Baldwin to NBA G League's Texas Legends - Texas Legends
- Long Island Nets Acquire Okaro White - Long Island Nets
- Timberwolves Assign Keita Bates-Diop to G League Affiliate Iowa Wolves - Iowa Wolves
- Team Effort Helps Blue Hold off Lakers - Oklahoma City Blue
- Knicks Look to Avenge Earlier Season Loss to Raptors - Westchester Knicks
- South Bay Drops First Game of 2019 to the Blue - South Bay Lakers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Oklahoma City Blue Stories
- Oklahoma City Announces Coaching Staff Updates
- Oklahoma City Acquires Returning Player Rights to Beau Beech and First-Round Draft Pick
- Thunder Signs Devon Hall to Two-Way Contract
- Oklahoma City Blue Announces 2019-20 Regular-Season Schedule
- Oklahoma City Wins Overtime Nail-Biter