Sounds Stifle Chasers 4-2
Nashville right-hander Joe Palumbo tossed six hitless frames, yielding just two walks, and Sounds hitters smashed three home runs, while Storm Chasers shortstop Erick Mejia clubbed two hits, including a homer, in Omaha's 4-2 defeat on Thursday evening at First Tennessee Park in Nashville, Tennessee.
Palumbo (6.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 7 K) set down 18 of the 20 batters he faced, with his lone blemishes a first-inning walk to Mejia and a fourth-inning free pass to RF Jorge Bonifacio. Mejia also ended Nashville's no-hit bid with a leadoff double in the seventh prior to scoring on an RBI groundout Omaha's first tally. He would later record his second knock of the night with a solo homer in the ninth.
Sounds relievers Joe Barlow (1.2 IP, H, R, ER, BB, 2 K), Jake Petricka (0.1 IP) and Reed Garrett (1.0 IP, H, R, ER) supported Palumbo by firing the final three frames, with Garrett notching his first save. Omaha starter Jake Kalish (5.0 IP, 7 H, 3 R, 3 ER, BB, 4 K), meanwhile, suffered the defeat.
Nashville C Jett Bandy delivered the contest's initial blow in the second, the first of three longballs for the home side. Two frames later, SS Eli White crushed a solo blast of his own before 1B Ronald Guzman extended the advantage to three via an RBI single in the fifth. After Mejia came across in the seventh, RF Sounds Nick Solak smacked a solo homer in the bottom of the seventh to return the margin to three at 4-1.
Guzman (3-4, RBI) posted a game-high three hits, along with multi-hit efforts from Solak (2-4, R, HR, RBI) and White (2-3, R, 2B, HR, RBI). Mejia's (2-3, 2 R, 2B, HR, RBI, BB) seventh-inning two-bagger and ninth inning big fly were Omaha's only two hits of the evening. Storm Chasers 3B Kelvin Gutierrez saw his ten-game hit streak snapped after failing to reach base in four at-bats, ending an impressive stretch during which he accumulated a .488 batting average dating back to August 3.
The two teams are set to continue their three-game series in Nashville on Friday evening, with first pitch scheduled for 7:05pm CT.
Omaha returns to Werner Park to wrap up the 2019 season with a seven-game homestand from August 26 through September 2, hosting Nashville and the Round Rock Express. First pitch of the series opener on Monday, August 26 is set for 7:05pm CT.
Tickets for that game and all remaining Storm Chasers home contests can be purchased online at www.omahastormchasers.com, or by calling the Werner Park Ticket Office from noon until 6:00 p.m. Monday through Friday at (402) 738-5100.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 15, 2019
- Sounds Stifle Chasers 4-2 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- 'Cakes Win in Extras - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Chanclas Fall to Baby Cakes in Extras - San Antonio Missions
- Redbirds Take Game One, Shutout Iowa - Iowa Cubs
- Express Outshine Dodgers 5-3 in Series Opener - Round Rock Express
- Ponce de Leon Charts Course with Series-Opening Shutout - Memphis Redbirds
- Palumbo Tosses Six No-Hit Innings in Sounds Win - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes vs. Sacramento - Reno Aces
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (53-66) vs. Omaha Storm Chasers (52-69) - Nashville Sounds
- Ben Zobrist Suits up for Iowa - Iowa Cubs
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (55-66) vs Iowa Cubs (66-55) - Memphis Redbirds
- Game Notes: Flying Chanclas de San Antonio vs. New Orleans Baby Cakes - San Antonio Missions
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 15, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Round Rock Express Announce Full 2020 Schedule - Round Rock Express
- Getting Tough for a Playoff Push - San Antonio Missions
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Omaha Storm Chasers Stories
- 3 Chasers Players Named to USA Baseball's Premier12 Roster
- 13 Omaha Alums Chasing World Series Ring
- Mejia, Machado Earn Omaha Player & Pitcher of the Year Honors
- "50 Summers" Selected for 14th Annual Baseball Film Festival at National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum
- Chasers, USL Omaha Announce Addition of Ryan Querry as Chief Revenue Officer