Chanclas Fall to Baby Cakes in Extras
SAN ANTONIO - The struggles continue for San Antonio as their losing skid is now at seven games after being defeated by New Orleans 5-3. After tying the game in the eighth inning, the Chanclas allowed two earned runs in the top of the 10th inning capped off by an RBI double from Eddy Alvarez.
The Flying Chanclas got off to a fast start scoring twice in the first inning. Nate Orf and Cory Spangenberg lead off the inning with singles. Orf scored on a sacrifice fly from David Freitas and Spangenberg scored on an RBI single from Tyrone Taylor.
New Orleans took the lead in the next inning. Austin Dean lead off with a single followed by a walk from Rosell Herrera and capped off by a three-run homerun from Yadiel Rivera. The Baby Cakes took a 3-2 lead.
The score stayed 3-2 until the bottom of the eighth inning. With new pitcher Tyler Stevens on the mound, Tyrone Taylor launched a solo home run to right-center field to tie the game at 3-3. The home run was Taylor's 10 on the season and his second RBI of the night.
After a scoreless ninth inning, it was off to extra innings between the Cakes and Chanclas. New Orleans didn't waste much time in regaining the lead. Placement runner Jesus Sanchez scored after Magneuris Sierra singled off Chanclas reliever Angel Perdomo. Perdomo then threw the ball away resulting in Sanchez scoring and Sierra heading to third. Sierra then scored on an RBI double from Eddy Alvarez. New Orleans lead 5-3.
Zack Brown was the starting pitcher for the Flying Chanclas. Brown lasted five innings, allowing three earned runs on four hits, walked two, and tied his season-high with seven strikeouts.
Brent Suter made his second rehab appearance with San Antonio. He pitched 2.2 scoreless innings, allowing one hit, one walk, and struck out three batters.
Nick Neidert started the game for New Orleans. After allowing two earned runs in the first inning, he settled in and did not allow a run after that. He also only allowed one hit after the first inning. He pitched six innings, allowing two earned runs on five hits, four walks, and four strikeouts.
Brett Graves collected his second win of the season for New Orleans and improved to 2-0 while Angel Perdomo suffered his second loss and falls to 3-2 on the season.
The Flying Chanclas and Baby Cakes continue their four-game series Friday night at Nelson Wolff Stadium. Right-hander Shelby Miller (0-1, 7.11) is scheduled to start for San Antonio against left-hander Mike Kickham (3-5, 4.82). First will be at 7:05 p.m.
With the loss, San Antonio falls to 72-50 on the season.
San Antonio's season-long losing streak extends to seven games.
David Freitas extends his hitting streak to 11 games and his on-base streak extends to 25 games. With a first inning RBI, Freitas now has a seven-game RBI streak which ties Tyler Saladino for longest by a Missions player this season.
Zack Brown's seven strikeouts ties his season-high. He also had seven strikeouts on August 3 against Fresno and June 12 against Reno.
Brent Suter pitched 2.2 scoreless innings in his second rehab appearance with San Antonio
San Antonio falls to 5-4 in extra-inning games this season
2019 is the 118th season of baseball in San Antonio and first as the Triple-A affiliate of the Milwaukee Brewers. Single game tickets are on sale now at the Wolff Stadium Box Office or online at samissions.com. Season seat memberships are available now by calling 210-675-PARK (7275).
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 15, 2019
- Sounds Stifle Chasers 4-2 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- 'Cakes Win in Extras - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Chanclas Fall to Baby Cakes in Extras - San Antonio Missions
- Redbirds Take Game One, Shutout Iowa - Iowa Cubs
- Express Outshine Dodgers 5-3 in Series Opener - Round Rock Express
- Ponce de Leon Charts Course with Series-Opening Shutout - Memphis Redbirds
- Palumbo Tosses Six No-Hit Innings in Sounds Win - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes vs. Sacramento - Reno Aces
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (53-66) vs. Omaha Storm Chasers (52-69) - Nashville Sounds
- Ben Zobrist Suits up for Iowa - Iowa Cubs
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (55-66) vs Iowa Cubs (66-55) - Memphis Redbirds
- Game Notes: Flying Chanclas de San Antonio vs. New Orleans Baby Cakes - San Antonio Missions
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 15, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Round Rock Express Announce Full 2020 Schedule - Round Rock Express
- Getting Tough for a Playoff Push - San Antonio Missions
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Antonio Missions Stories
- Rosters Announced for McCombs Ford West's High School Baseball Seniors Celebration at the Wolff
- Wolff Stadium to Host McCombs Ford West's HS Baseball Seniors Celebration
- San Antonio to Host 2020 Texas Collegiate League Team
- San Antonio Missions to Take Part in MiLB's CommUnity First Campaign
- Missions to Re-Air 2019 Home Opener as Part of #MiLBAtHomeOpener Initiative