Redbirds Take Game One, Shutout Iowa
MEMPHIS, TN - The Memphis Redbirds (56-66) allowed just three hits as they shutout the Iowa Cubs (66-56) Thursday night at AutoZone Park.
Daniel Ponce de Leon spun seven scoreless innings against Iowa, striking out nine I-Cubs hitters while allowing just two hits and two walks.
Rangel Ravelo set the tone early for Memphis with a two-run shot off of Chih-Wei Hu in the bottom of the first inning. The Redbirds would add two more in the bottom of the third with another two-run home run off the bat of Harrison Bader.
In his first start as an I-Cub, Hu tossed three innings allowing four runs on seven hits, walking one and striking out three. The righty limited damage, but the two home runs put the I-Cubs in a hole they couldn't climb out of.
Trevor Clifton relieved Hu and spun 3.2 innings of relief surrendering just one run in the bottom of the sixth on an Edmundo Sosa sacrifice fly, driving in Dylan Carlson to push the lead to five.
Kodi Whitley and Mike Mayers finished the game out for Memphis, allowing one combined hit over the final two innings, completing the shutout.
- Iowa was shutout for the seventh time this season, moving to 5-7 on the year in shutouts. The I-Cubs got just one baserunner to third base Thursday against Memphis.
- P.J. Higgins registered two of Iowa's three hits, going 2-for-3 with one strikeout. Donnie Dewees was the only other I-Cub to record a hit, doing so on an 11-pitch at-bat to begin the game.
- Wyatt Short allowed just one hit while striking out three over 1.1 scoreless relief innings. The lefty has now spun three scoreless innings in two games with Iowa.
- Memphis had 10 hits in the ballgame, five of which went for extra bases.
- In his first rehab game with Iowa, Ben Zobrist played second base, going 0-for-3 with a walk and a strikeout at the plate.
Iowa and Memphis clash again tomorrow night at 7:05 p.m. for game two of the four-game set. Follow the game on AM 940, TuneIn Radio or www.iowacubs.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 15, 2019
- Sounds Stifle Chasers 4-2 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- 'Cakes Win in Extras - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Chanclas Fall to Baby Cakes in Extras - San Antonio Missions
- Redbirds Take Game One, Shutout Iowa - Iowa Cubs
- Express Outshine Dodgers 5-3 in Series Opener - Round Rock Express
- Ponce de Leon Charts Course with Series-Opening Shutout - Memphis Redbirds
- Palumbo Tosses Six No-Hit Innings in Sounds Win - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes vs. Sacramento - Reno Aces
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (53-66) vs. Omaha Storm Chasers (52-69) - Nashville Sounds
- Ben Zobrist Suits up for Iowa - Iowa Cubs
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (55-66) vs Iowa Cubs (66-55) - Memphis Redbirds
- Game Notes: Flying Chanclas de San Antonio vs. New Orleans Baby Cakes - San Antonio Missions
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 15, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Round Rock Express Announce Full 2020 Schedule - Round Rock Express
- Getting Tough for a Playoff Push - San Antonio Missions
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.