Game Notes: Flying Chanclas de San Antonio vs. New Orleans Baby Cakes
Flying Chanclas de San Antonio (72-49) vs. New Orleans Baby Cakes (65-54)
Game #122/Home Game #63
Thursday, August 15, 7:05 p.m.
MiLB.tv / KONO 860 AM
RHP Zack Brown (2-6, 5.77) vs. RHP Nick Neidert (3-2, 5.48)
Home Cooking: After a seven-game road trip the Flying Chanclas are happy to return home to the Alamo City. San Antonio is 44-19 at Wolff Stadium, which is the best home record in Triple-A. San Antonio has won 14 of its last 18 at home. The Flying Chanclas' season ERA rose above 4.00 for the first time since April 22 on their recent road trip but at Wolff Stadium they boast a PCL-best 3.54 ERA.
Climbing the All-Time Ranks: Cory Spangenberg played for the Double-A edition of San Antonio in parts of each season from 2013-15 and has spent all of 2019 with the Triple-A version of the franchise. In his time in the Alamo City Spangenberg is batting .310 (308-for-992), which is good for sixth in franchise history. Lyman Nason is San Antonio's all-time leader in batting average as he hit .330 from 1925, 28-29.
Going Deep: San Antonio has homered in nine straight games and is looking for a fourth streak of at least 10 games this season. The last 10-game home run streak came from July 19-30. The longest home run streak of the season for San Antonio was a 14-gamer from June 16-30. The ball club has belted 175 long balls on the year to set a new franchise record, surpassing the previous mark of 171, which was set in 1925.
Finding a Groove: Lucas Erceg is on a season-long eight-game hitting streak, which started on August 4. During his streak he is batting .444 (16-for-36) with 8 runs, 5 doubles, 1 home run, and 7 RBI. His career-long hitting streak is nine games, which he has done twice, most recently from June 22-July 1, 2018 with Double-A Biloxi.
Barking up the Right Tree: Chanclas reliever Luke Barker has been a solid force in the bullpen since joining San Antonio on June 21. Over that span, he is 1-1 with a 1.50 ERA in 14 appearances. He currently holds a 0.63 WHIP and is holding opposing hitters to a .113 batting average. His WHIP is the lowest on the team for players who have made at least five appearances. He hasn't allowed an earned run over his last seven outings dating back to July 19 and hasn't allowed an earned run in 10 of his 14 appearances with the club.
*WHAT THEY'RE SAYING* San Antonio Missions Baseball Club (@missionsmilb) Fireworks and baseball is the perfect combination! We've got both this Saturday! [ðï¸] bit.ly/2HijxZd
San Antonio Missions Baseball Club (@missionsmilb) Tonight is a Flying Chanclas night and you can wear what the team wears at a discount! Available in-store only, all Flying Chanclas jerseys are now 20% off!
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 15, 2019
- Sounds Stifle Chasers 4-2 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- 'Cakes Win in Extras - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Chanclas Fall to Baby Cakes in Extras - San Antonio Missions
- Redbirds Take Game One, Shutout Iowa - Iowa Cubs
- Express Outshine Dodgers 5-3 in Series Opener - Round Rock Express
- Ponce de Leon Charts Course with Series-Opening Shutout - Memphis Redbirds
- Palumbo Tosses Six No-Hit Innings in Sounds Win - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes vs. Sacramento - Reno Aces
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (53-66) vs. Omaha Storm Chasers (52-69) - Nashville Sounds
- Ben Zobrist Suits up for Iowa - Iowa Cubs
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (55-66) vs Iowa Cubs (66-55) - Memphis Redbirds
- Game Notes: Flying Chanclas de San Antonio vs. New Orleans Baby Cakes - San Antonio Missions
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 15, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Round Rock Express Announce Full 2020 Schedule - Round Rock Express
- Getting Tough for a Playoff Push - San Antonio Missions
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Antonio Missions Stories
- San Antonio Missions Announce 2020 Schedule
- Former Missions Outfielder Trent Grisham Named Milwaukee Brewers Minor League Player of the Year
- 2019 Season Review
- Sorting out Bittersweet Memories
- Missions Catcher David Freitas Wins Pacific Coast League Batting Title