Ponce de Leon Charts Course with Series-Opening Shutout
MEMPHIS, Tennessee - Daniel Ponce de Leon allowed just two singles in 7.0 shutout innings of work, and Rangel Ravelo and Harrison Bader each had two-run home runs as the Memphis Redbirds blanked the first-place Iowa Cubs (Cubs) in the series opener Thursday night at AutoZone Park, 5-0.
Ponce de Leon allowed a single to lead off the game and one leading off the third, but that was all Iowa (66-56) could muster against the right-hander. He retired nine of the last 10 hitters he faced and 13-of-15 overall, and he struck out nine and walked just two. He fired 68 of his 108 pitches for strikes.
The reigning Pacific Coast League Pitcher of the Week has worked 18.0 shutout innings in his last three starts for Memphis (56-66), and he has given up just four hits and struck out 28 while walking only five.
Ravelo and Bader went deep with two-run shots in the first and third innings, respectively, and the Redbirds' other run in the game came in the sixth inning when Dylan Carlson doubled, went to third on a fielder's choice, and scored on a sacrifice fly.
Carlson, the St. Louis Cardinals' second-ranked prospect and No. 51 in all of Major League Baseball, made his Triple-A debut after arriving from Double-A Springfield earlier in the day.
Bader also drew two walks in the game, and Ravelo had a single to go along with his home run. Justin Williams also had a two-hit game for the Redbirds. Edmundo Sosa was 1-for-3, and he now has a hit in 18 of his last 19 games.
After Ponce de Leon finished his outing, Kodi Whitley worked a scoreless eighth inning and Mike Mayers fired a perfect ninth to seal the win.
The Redbirds have won five of their last six games.
Memphis and Iowa continue their series tomorrow night at 7:05. The Redbirds remain home through Sunday, Aug. 25, which concludes their regular-season home schedule.
Upcoming Games of Note at AutoZone Park
Friday, August 16 at 7:05: Sandlot Night with an appearance by Squints from the movie and a showing of the film after the game; All-You-Can-Eat Night specialty ticket presented by Dave & Buster's featuring an all-you-can-eat beef sliders buffet and a free $15 Dave & Buster's Power Card available at www.memphisredbirds.com/allyoucaneat; Specialty ticket that includes a St. Louis Cardinals golf umbrella available at www.memphisredbirds.com/cardinals
Saturday, August 17 at 6:35: Terminix Saturday Fireworks Show after the game; Aldo's Pizza specialty ticket with free soda at the ballpark and free and discounted food and beverages at Aldo's Pizza Pies available at www.memphisredbirds.com/aldos
Sunday, August 18 at 2:05: Prairie Farms Ice Cream Sunday (free ice cream for kids upon entering); pregame player autographs presented by Allegiant Air; kids run the bases after the game
Monday, August 19 at 6:35: the Redbirds take the field as the Memphis Música as part of Minor League Baseball's "Copa de la Diversión" series with $3 tacos and $5 Dos Equis available at the stadium
For more information on the 2019 season, visit www.memphisredbirds.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 15, 2019
- Sounds Stifle Chasers 4-2 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- 'Cakes Win in Extras - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Chanclas Fall to Baby Cakes in Extras - San Antonio Missions
- Redbirds Take Game One, Shutout Iowa - Iowa Cubs
- Express Outshine Dodgers 5-3 in Series Opener - Round Rock Express
- Ponce de Leon Charts Course with Series-Opening Shutout - Memphis Redbirds
- Palumbo Tosses Six No-Hit Innings in Sounds Win - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes vs. Sacramento - Reno Aces
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (53-66) vs. Omaha Storm Chasers (52-69) - Nashville Sounds
- Ben Zobrist Suits up for Iowa - Iowa Cubs
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (55-66) vs Iowa Cubs (66-55) - Memphis Redbirds
- Game Notes: Flying Chanclas de San Antonio vs. New Orleans Baby Cakes - San Antonio Missions
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 15, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Round Rock Express Announce Full 2020 Schedule - Round Rock Express
- Getting Tough for a Playoff Push - San Antonio Missions
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Memphis Redbirds Stories
- 9,123 Fans Jam AutoZone Park for Triple-A National Championship Game
- Triple-A National Champion to be Crowned Tomorrow Night
- Triple-A Baseball, Allegiant Announce Historic On-Field Jersey Partnership
- Redbirds, "I Love Memphis" Partner for $5 Tickets for Triple-A National Championship Game
- Ponce de Leon Named Pacific Coast League Player of the Month