Solar Bears Sign Aneloski, McAvoy, Extend Qualifying Offers
Orlando, FL - The Orlando Solar Bears, proud affiliate of the NHL's Toronto Maple Leafs and AHL's Toronto Marlies, announced that they have agreed to terms with defensemen Bryce Aneloski and Spencer McAvoy and have extended qualifying offers to eight players for the 2015-16 season.
Aneloski (6-2, 201 lbs.) led all Solar Bears defensemen with 18 assists and 27 points and was tied for first among team blueliners with nine goals during the 2014-15 season. He has appeared in 116 games in his Solar Bears career, scoring 18 goals and adding 37 assists for 55 points. The Pekin, IL, native has appeared in 14 AHL games with Toronto, Providence, and Iowa, notching one goal and adding two assists to go along with nine PIM.
McAvoy (6-2, 200 lbs.) split the 2014-15 campaign (his first as a pro) between the Solar Bears and Elmira Jackals, recording one assist in 46 games. He scored a goal in his first appearance with Orlando during the 2015 CCM/ECHL All-Star Classic, presented by Visit Orlando. A native of Edmonton, AB, McAvoy played five seasons (2009-14) for St. Francis University (CIS), where he tallied 72 points on 20 goals and 52 assists to go along with 92 PIM. McAvoy was named to the CIS First All-Star Team in 2010-11, finishing ninth among league defensemen with 22 points while leading all St. Xavier defensemen in goals (6) and assists (16). He also led all team defensemen in scoring in 2011-12, when he finished with 17 points (3 goals, 14 assists) in 27 games.
Players who had already signed a contract by June 30, did not need to receive a qualifying offer.
Each team was entitled to reserve the rights to a maximum of eight qualified players. Of the eight qualified players, no more than four could be veterans (260 regular season professional hockey games played as of the start of the upcoming 2015-16 season). Players on open qualifying offers cannot be traded.
The players who received qualifying offers from the Solar Bears are as follows:
The qualifying offer must remain open for acceptance until August 1, at which time the qualifying offer becomes null and void and the team may sign the qualified player to any salary or may elect to take no further action. Teams that extend a valid qualifying offer to a non-veteran player shall retain the rights to that qualified player for one playing season.
A team that extends a valid qualifying offer to a veteran player will retain the rights to that veteran until August 1. After August 1, if the veteran player is not signed to a contract by the team, the veteran shall be deemed a restricted free agent and shall be entitled to seek and secure offers of employment from other ECHL teams. Restricted free agents may not be traded. When a restricted free agent receives a contract offer from a team other than the team with the player's rights and the restricted free agent wishes to accept the contract offer, the restricted free agent and the offering member must, within 24 hours, notify the ECHL, the team with the player's rights and the Professional Hockey Players' Association. The member with the player's rights shall have seven days after the date it is notified to exercise its right to match the contract offer.
If a restricted free agent is not signed to either an offer sheet or a contract by an ECHL team by August 31, the player shall be deemed an unrestricted free agent.
The Orlando Solar Bears, the ECHL affiliate of the NHL's Toronto Maple Leafs and AHL's Toronto Marlies, play all of their home games at the 2012 Street and Smith's Sports Business Journal Sports Facility of the Year, the Amway Center.
Images from this story
Orlando Solar Bears Defenseman Bryce Aneloski
Orlando Solar Bears Defenseman Spencer McAvoy
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from July 1, 2015
- Americans Extend Qualifying Offers to Seven Players - Allen Americans
- Nailers Announce 2015 Qualifying Offers - Wheeling Nailers
- Elmira Extends Qualifying Offers to Six Players - Elmira Jackals
- Aces Announce Qualifying Offers - Alaska Aces
- K-Wings Extend Eight Qualifying Offers - Kalamazoo Wings
- Admirals Pick up Forward, Defenseman in Trade with Missouri - Norfolk Admirals
- Wichita Announces Qualifying Offers to Eight Players - Wichita Thunder
- Road Warriors Submit Qualifying Offers - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Evansville IceMen Announce Qualifying Offers List - Evansville IceMen
- Mavericks Acquire Sebastien Sylvestre; Missouri Trades Alex Lepkowski and Kain Allicock to Norfolk - Kansas City Mavericks
- Everblades Extend Qualifying Offers to Eight Players - Florida Everblades
- Oilers Extend Eight Qualifying Offers - Tulsa Oilers
- Get to Know Head Coach Anthony Noreen - Orlando Solar Bears
- Idaho Announces Qualifying Contract Offers - Idaho Steelheads
- Adirondack Thunder Extend Eight Qualifying Offers - Adirondack Thunder
- Solar Bears Sign Aneloski, McAvoy, Extend Qualifying Offers - Orlando Solar Bears
- Komets Announce Eight Qualifying Offers - Fort Wayne Komets
- Fuel Extend Qualifying Offers to Seven Players - Indy Fuel
- Mavericks Announce Qualifying Offers List - Kansas City Mavericks
- Reading Royals Extend Qualifying Offers to Eight - Reading Royals
- Eagles Extend Qualifying Offers to Eight Players - Colorado Eagles
- Stingrays Announce Eight Players Receiving Qualifying Offers - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mallards Extend Eight Qualifying Offers - Quad City Mallards
- Grizzlies Issue 8 Qualifying Offers for 15-16 Season - Utah Grizzlies
- Cyclones Announce Roster Moves - Cincinnati Cyclones
- ECHL Announces Players with Qualifying Offers - ECHL
- Mavericks Re-Sign Two Defensemen - Kansas City Mavericks
- Allen Receives Website Award of Excellence - ECHL
- Napoli Named ECHL Executive of the Year - Toledo Walleye
- Toledo's Napoli Named ECHL Executive of the Year - ECHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.