Sohn, Pitching Help Goldeyes Beat RedHawks
WINNIPEG, MB - The Winnipeg Goldeyes beat the Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks 3-2 at Shaw Park on Wednesday night.
Tied at 2-2 in the bottom of the eighth inning, Blake Adams was hit by a pitch with one out and advanced to third on a long double to right-centre from Tyler Baker. Andrew Sohn then hit a chopper to third base, and Adams raced home with the lead run, beating the throw from Leobaldo Pina.
"We had a great performance from Boshers," said Sohn. "The bullpen did a great job also. Guys were getting on base, and we pulled it out. Most of that credit goes to the guys in front of me for getting on base. It's not possible without them getting on, so that was huge for them to put some great at bats together. I felt comfortable out there, and I'm getting better day-by-day at the plate. Hopefully I can keep it going until the end of the season."
Victor Capellan (4-4), who recorded the final out in the top of the eighth, pitched a scoreless ninth to earn the win in relief.
The RedHawks took a 2-0 lead in the top of the fourth. Brennan Metzger and Devan Ahart started the inning with consecutive singles to put runners on the corners. Metzger scored the game's first run when Pina reached on an infield single. With runners on first and third with still no outs, Charlie Valerio lifted a flyball to medium centre field. Ahart appeared to score on a sacrifice fly, but was then tagged out by Baker when it was ruled that Ahart did not touch home plate. Pina scored the RedHawks' second run when Jake Vieth reached on an error charged to Tucker Nathans at second base.
The Goldeyes answered back in the bottom of the fourth to tie the game. Nathans singled to right-centre with one out. Two batters later, Jordan Ebert singled up the middle. After Baker was hit by a pitch to load the bases, Sohn lined a two-out single to centre that scored both Nathans and Ebert.
Goldeyes' starter Alex Boshers took a no-decision, allowing two runs, one earned, on 10 hits in six and one-third innings. Boshers walked one and struck out three. Boshers escaped a bases loaded, no-out jam in the fifth, and then worked out of a bases loaded, one-out situation in the sixth to keep the game tied.
RedHawks' starter Trey McNutt also took a no-decision, allowing two earned runs on seven hits in seven innings. McNutt walked three and struck out seven.
Benji Waite (4-4) took the loss for the RedHawks, allowing the run in the bottom of the eighth.
Jack Charleston worked one and one-third scoreless relief innings in his league-leading 55th appearance. Charleston is three appearances back of the Goldeyes' and American Association single-season record of 58 with five games remaining in the season.
The series continues Thursday night at 7:05 p.m. Kevin McGovern (4-12, 4.88) faces right-hander DJ Brown (9-2, 3.92). Tickets for all Goldeyes' home games are on sale now by visiting www.ticketmaster.ca/Goldeyes, or visiting any Ticketmaster location, including the box office at Shaw Park.
For information regarding Winnipeg Goldeyes' season tickets, 10-game mini packs, and group outings, call the Goldeyes' office at (204) 982-BASE, or visit the Goldeyes' official website at www.goldeyes.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 30, 2018
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Defensive Mistakes Hurt Birds in Loss to RailCats - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Jacobs Drives in Five and Saltdogs Win 10-6 - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Collier Collars Wingnuts to Even Series - Wichita Wingnuts
- Saints Too Little, Too Late, Fall to Dogs 6-3 - St. Paul Saints
- Golson Piles up Three Hits in 4-0 Loss vs. X's - Texas AirHogs
- Torrez, Vavra Lead Chicago to 6-3 Win over St. Paul - Chicago Dogs
- Samson Sets Hits Record and X's Shut out Hogs - Sioux City Explorers
- Early Six-Run Lead Paces Gary to 6-3 Win over Sioux Falls - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Capellan Ties Record as Goldeyes Best RedHawks - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Railroaders Set League Strikeout Record, Lose Fourth in a Row - Cleburne Railroaders
- Highway Robbery Defense and Ace Performance Doom T-Bones - Kansas City T-Bones
- RailCats Slip by Birds to Snap Streak - Sioux Falls Canaries
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Garcia's Shut out and Samson's Big Night Lead X's to Win - Sioux City Explorers
- Saltdogs Offense Continues to Roll in 13-3 Blowout - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Dogs Spoil Strong Start from Simms, Lose 2-1 - Chicago Dogs
- AirHogs Shutout in Sioux City Opener - Texas AirHogs
- 4 Unanswered Runs Guides Gary to Playoffs for Second Straight Season - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Murphy Sets Single-Season Hits Record as Saints Down Dogs, 2-1 - St. Paul Saints
- Banwart, Early Offense Carry Wingnuts Past T-Bones - Wichita Wingnuts
- Sohn, Pitching Help Goldeyes Beat RedHawks - Winnipeg Goldeyes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.