American Association Game Recaps
August 30, 2018 - American Association (AA) News Release
Gary SouthShore 4, Sioux Falls 1- Box Score
The Gary SouthShore RailCats (55-40) clinched a playoff birth with a 4-1 win over the Sioux Falls Canaries (39-56) on Wednesday.
RailCats' starting pitcher Austin Wright gave up just one run while striking out nine in 6.1 innings of work for Gary SouthShore. Colin Willis (3-for-2) and K.C. Huth (1-for-3) both hit solo home runs to lead the offense.
The RailCats currently trail the St. Paul Saints by two games for the north division lead with.
Wichita 6, Kansas City 3- Box Score
The Wichita Wingnuts moved to within .5 game of the Kansas City T-Bones for the south division wild card with a win on Wednesday.
The Wingnuts scored first when Zach Nehrir hit an RBI double on the second at-bat of the game. One batter later, Nehrir scored on an RBI single by Abel Nieves. The T-Bones cut the lead in half in the bottom of the second when Keith Curcio hit an RBI ground rule double. Wichita made it a 5-1 game with a three-run top of the fourth that included a two-run double by Logan Watkins and an RBI single by Zach Nehrir. Kansas City pushed late, scoring two on a Danny Hayes home run in the bottom of the ninth, but the comeback ended there.
Travis Banwart gave up just one run in eight innings of work to earn the win.
Fargo-Moorhead 3, Winnipeg 2- Box Score
The Winnipeg Goldeyes (38-57) scored late to eliminate the Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks (49-46) from playoff contention on Wednesday.
The RedHawks took a 2-0 lead with a two-run top of the fourth that included an RBI single by Leobaldo Pina. The Goldeyes tied the game in the next frame when Andrew Sohn (2-for-4) hit a two-run single.
The game remained tied until the bottom of the eighth when Sohn drove in the winning run on a fielder's choice.
Lincoln 13, Cleburne 3- Box Score
The Lincoln Saltdogs (48-47) had nine extra-base hits in a win over the Cleburne Railroaders (30-64) on Wednesday.
Seven Saltdogs' hits were doubles, Curt Smith (3-for-4) led the way with two. Christian Ibarra hit a solo home run and Alex Glenn hit a two-run home run for Lincoln, which had 18 hits in total.
Angel Rosa hit a two-run home run for the Railroaders.
Sioux City 14, Texas 0- Box Score
The Sioux City Explorers (68-27) routed the Texas AirHogs (25-70) 14-0 on Wednesday.
The Explorers were led by Nate Samson (5-for-6), Dean Green (1-for-4) and Blake Schmit (2-for-5) who all drove in three runners.
Jose Garcia (3-0) pitched a two-hit complete game shutout to hold the offensive performance.
St. Paul 2, Chicago 1- Box Score
The St. Paul Saints (57-38) edged the Chicago Dogs (42-53) by a score of 2-1 on Wednesday to maintain their lead for first place in the north division standings.
The Saints scored both of their runs on a two-run single by Joey Wong in the bottom of the second. The Dogs cut the lead to one in the next frame when Joe Benson drove in a runner, but the scoring ended there with Saints' starting pitcher Chris Nunn (7-3) earning the win for six innings of one-run ball.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 30, 2018
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Defensive Mistakes Hurt Birds in Loss to RailCats - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Jacobs Drives in Five and Saltdogs Win 10-6 - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Collier Collars Wingnuts to Even Series - Wichita Wingnuts
- Saints Too Little, Too Late, Fall to Dogs 6-3 - St. Paul Saints
- Golson Piles up Three Hits in 4-0 Loss vs. X's - Texas AirHogs
- Torrez, Vavra Lead Chicago to 6-3 Win over St. Paul - Chicago Dogs
- Samson Sets Hits Record and X's Shut out Hogs - Sioux City Explorers
- Early Six-Run Lead Paces Gary to 6-3 Win over Sioux Falls - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Capellan Ties Record as Goldeyes Best RedHawks - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Railroaders Set League Strikeout Record, Lose Fourth in a Row - Cleburne Railroaders
- Highway Robbery Defense and Ace Performance Doom T-Bones - Kansas City Monarchs
- RailCats Slip by Birds to Snap Streak - Sioux Falls Canaries
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Garcia's Shut out and Samson's Big Night Lead X's to Win - Sioux City Explorers
- Saltdogs Offense Continues to Roll in 13-3 Blowout - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Dogs Spoil Strong Start from Simms, Lose 2-1 - Chicago Dogs
- AirHogs Shutout in Sioux City Opener - Texas AirHogs
- 4 Unanswered Runs Guides Gary to Playoffs for Second Straight Season - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Murphy Sets Single-Season Hits Record as Saints Down Dogs, 2-1 - St. Paul Saints
- Banwart, Early Offense Carry Wingnuts Past T-Bones - Wichita Wingnuts
- Sohn, Pitching Help Goldeyes Beat RedHawks - Winnipeg Goldeyes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.