4 Unanswered Runs Guides Gary to Playoffs for Second Straight Season
SIOUX FALLS, S.D. - Four unanswered runs, 6.1 innings of one-run ball from Austin Wright and solo homers from K.C. Huth and Colin Willis guided the Gary SouthShore SouthShore RailCats to a 4-1 win over the Sioux Falls Canaries in the series opener at Sioux Falls Stadium. Wednesday's victory sends Gary back to the American Association playoffs for the second straight season and secures the RailCats the final playoff spot out of the North Division.
Sioux Falls (39-56) went in front 1-0 after having the first three batters reach in the first. Former RailCat Mitch Glasser drew a seven-pitch walk to begin the frame before Mike Hart reached on a drag bunt up the first base line. David Bergin then walked on nine pitches before Jabari Henry brought home Glasser from third after grounding into a double play.
Gary (55-40) tied the game at 1-1 on Huth's solo home run to left in the third. Huth's homer was his first with the RailCats since getting acquired from Cleburne on Friday and his fourth of the year.
The RailCats then took the lead for good on Colin Willis' two-out opposite-field home run to left. The solo homer was Willis' team-high ninth of the year and his team-best 49th RBI.
Gary increased their lead to 4-1 with a pair of unearned runs in the eighth. Huth led off the inning with a walk before Cole Fabio reached on a fielding error by Canaries pitcher Nicco Blank. D.K. Carey then advanced both runners with a sacrifice but Blank threw wide to first after fielding the bunt, allowing Huth to score from second. Andy De Jesus followed with an RBI groundout to second, scoring Fabio from third for the final run of the night.
Wright (1-1) yielded just five hits, walked four, hit a batter and struck out a season-high nine in his first win as a member of the RailCats. Jack Fowler (7) recorded his team-high-tying seventh hold after recording the final two outs in the bottom of the seventh while Jorge De Leon (1) secured the win with the six-out save. Mark Seyler (1-4) was tagged with the loss after allowing two runs on five hits, two walks and a strikeout over six innings.
Gary continues their five-game road trip and three-game series against Sioux Falls on Thursday. RailCats LHP Lars Liguori (3-7, 3.56) opposes Canaries RHP Miles Nordgren (2-5, 4.31) in the middle game of the series.
Game one of the American Association North Division Series between Gary and the St. Paul Saints will start on Tuesday with the location and time yet to be determined.
Gary returns home to U.S. Steel Yard on Saturday, September 1st for the final three regular-season games of the year. Saturday is Oktoberfest, presented by Berey Bros., and is a special 4:10 p.m. start time vs. the Kansas City T-Bones. Saturday's series opener also features Kids the Run the Bases and is another Signature Saturday, courtesy of AccessAbilities, Inc.
Jared Shlensky and Brennan Mense bring you all 100 RailCats game this season on WEFM (95.9 FM) and online at railcatsbaseball.com. Ticket packages for the 2018 Gary SouthShore RailCats season are available online at railcatsbaseball.com and can also be purchased by calling the RailCats ticket line at (219) 882-BALL. The RailCats box office is open Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 30, 2018
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Defensive Mistakes Hurt Birds in Loss to RailCats - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Jacobs Drives in Five and Saltdogs Win 10-6 - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Collier Collars Wingnuts to Even Series - Wichita Wingnuts
- Saints Too Little, Too Late, Fall to Dogs 6-3 - St. Paul Saints
- Golson Piles up Three Hits in 4-0 Loss vs. X's - Texas AirHogs
- Torrez, Vavra Lead Chicago to 6-3 Win over St. Paul - Chicago Dogs
- Samson Sets Hits Record and X's Shut out Hogs - Sioux City Explorers
- Early Six-Run Lead Paces Gary to 6-3 Win over Sioux Falls - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Capellan Ties Record as Goldeyes Best RedHawks - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Railroaders Set League Strikeout Record, Lose Fourth in a Row - Cleburne Railroaders
- Highway Robbery Defense and Ace Performance Doom T-Bones - Kansas City T-Bones
- RailCats Slip by Birds to Snap Streak - Sioux Falls Canaries
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Garcia's Shut out and Samson's Big Night Lead X's to Win - Sioux City Explorers
- Saltdogs Offense Continues to Roll in 13-3 Blowout - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Dogs Spoil Strong Start from Simms, Lose 2-1 - Chicago Dogs
- AirHogs Shutout in Sioux City Opener - Texas AirHogs
- 4 Unanswered Runs Guides Gary to Playoffs for Second Straight Season - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Murphy Sets Single-Season Hits Record as Saints Down Dogs, 2-1 - St. Paul Saints
- Banwart, Early Offense Carry Wingnuts Past T-Bones - Wichita Wingnuts
- Sohn, Pitching Help Goldeyes Beat RedHawks - Winnipeg Goldeyes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Gary SouthShore Railcats Stories
- Anthem BlueCross BlueShield Announces No Cost Flu Clinics at the Steel Yard
- American Association Designated as Partner League of MLB
- RailCats Announce the Greens at the Steel Yard Event
- Gary SouthShore RailCats, Schaumburg Boomers to Add Black Lives Matters Patches to Team Jerseys
- RailCats Announce New Special Events and Facility Rental Opportunities