SkyForce Clinches Playoff Birth With Win Over Red Claws
SIOUX FALLS, S.D., Mar. 24 - The Sioux Falls Skyforce defeated the Maine Red Claws 111-108 on Wednesday night at the Sioux Falls Arena to clinch a spot in the 2010 NBA Development League Playoffs. It marks the 14th postseason berth in 21 seasons of professional basketball in the Sioux Empire.
Sioux Falls recorded a season-high 40 first-quarter points on their way to a 67-63 halftime lead. Greg Stiemsma got off to a quick start for the Skyforce with 10 points on 5-of-5 field goals in the opening quarter. Morris Almond also started the game strong with a 15-point first quarter.
Sioux Falls never trailed in the third quarter and led by as many as nine points before settling for an 89-81 lead at the end of three. Raymond Sykes made 1-of-2 from the charity stripe to push the lead to 10 points (96-86) with under eight minutes to go but Maine went on a 10-1 spurt over the next two minutes to cut the deficit to 97-96. Maine had a chance to tie the game at 106, but Almond missed a driving lay-up and Leemire Goldwire hit a long two-pointer with two seconds on the shot clock to make it a two-possession game. Maurice Ager answered with a tough driving lay-up but Sioux Falls made 3-of-4 free throws to ice the game and snap a modest two-game losing streak.
Alexander Johnson paced the Skyforce with 27 points and seven rebounds. Goldwire added 22 points of the bench and David Bailey posted his sixth double-double of the season with 16 points and 10 assists.
Almond tallied a game-high 30 points while Russell Robinson added 20 points. Ager had a solid all-around game with 14 points, seven rebounds, seven assists and three steals.
Sioux Falls hosts the Springfield Armor on Friday at 7 p.m. CT. Maine travels to the Biggest Little City in the World to take on the Reno Bighorns on Friday at 10 p.m. ET.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from March 24, 2010
- Utah Secures Win In Fierce Battle - Utah Flash
- SkyForce Clinches Playoff Birth With Win Over Red Claws - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Toros Sweep Season Series with Springfield - Austin Spurs
- Mad Ants Mount Comeback to Beat BayHawks - Erie BayHawks
- D-Fenders Fall To The Bighorns In Last Home Game - Los Angeles D-Fenders
- Bighorns Complete Sweep of Los Angeles 117-110 - Reno Bighorns
- Vipers Add Depth - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Austin's Jerrells Signs With San Antonio Spurs; Assigned To Toros - G League
- NBA D-League Games On Versus Presented By Papa John's Pizza Continue On Saturday - G League
- Harris Earns Gatorade Call-Up To Houston: Rockets Also Recall Taylor - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Skyforce Acquires Kirk Penney - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Rio Grande Valley's Harris Signs With Houston Rockets - G League
- Los Angeles Comes Up Short Against Reno - Los Angeles D-Fenders
- NBA D-League Daily Developments - G League
- AOL's FanHouse and D-League Announce New Multiyear Agreement - G League
- Springfield Armor Open Practice To Public - Springfield Armor
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sioux Falls Skyforce Stories
- Miami Heat Two-Way Player Gabe Vincent Named NBA G League Most Improved Player
- Skyforce Releases Statements Regarding G League Cancellation
- Skyforce Statement on NBA G League Suspension
- Jack Guides Force to Fourth-Straight Home Victory
- Skyforce Stays Hot at Home, Cruises to 125-102 Victory over Warriors