Short & Sweet: RailRiders win 4-3 in five Sunday
CHARLOTTE, NC - The Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders beat the Charlotte Knights 4-3 on Sunday afternoon in a five-inning, rain-shortened game. The RailRiders took a 4-0 lead and held on to win three of four in the series at BB&T Ballpark.
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre plated three runs in the top of the third against T.J. House. Abiatal Avelino reached on a single and scored on a sac fly by L.J. Mazzilli. Two batters later, Kyle Higashioka doubled in Gleyber Torres for a 2-0 lead. Mike Ford singled home Higashioka for a three-run edge.
Zack Zehner hit a solo home run off of House to lead off the fourth inning. It was Zehner's second home run of the season; both of which have come in this series.
The Knights scored three times in the bottom of the fourth off reliever Brody Koerner. Jose Rondon reached on an infield single and scored on a sacrifice fly from Patrick Leonard. Juan Perez hit a two-run home run to right off Koerner to cut the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre lead to one.
In the top of the sixth, rain began to fall and the game went into a delay. After a 46-minute delay, the game was ruled official and completed early.
Koerner (1-0) earned the win, working four innings and allowing three runs on four hits. House (0-2) suffered the loss after giving up four runs on seven hits over five-plus innings.
The RailRiders continue this seven-day swing south on Monday evening in Gwinnett against the Stripers, Triple-A affiliate of the Atlanta Braves. Chance Adams is slated to start against Kolby Allard with the first pitch at 7:05 p.m. Follow along with all the action on The Game NEPA's Sports Radio, online at swbrailriders.com and on the RadioBold and TuneIn Radio Apps, with coverage starting at 6:35 p.m. The RailRiders return home on Friday, April 20, to begin a six-game homestand.
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders Record: 7-3
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from April 15, 2018
- Pigs Fall in Extra Innings 5-4 - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Bats Win in Extras, 5-4 - Louisville Bats
- Knights Fall to RailRiders 4-3 in Rain Shortened Game Sunday - Charlotte Knights
- Short & Sweet: RailRiders win 4-3 in five Sunday - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Red Wings, Stripers Postponed Sunday - Rochester Red Wings
- Louisville Bats Notes: April 15 - Louisville Bats
- Gwinnett Stripers, Rochester Postponed Sunday - Gwinnett Stripers
- PawSox and Mud Hens Postponed Due to Rain - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Mud Hens Game Cancelled - Toledo Mud Hens
- Durham at Columbus Postponed - Columbus Clippers
- Pigs Hope to Break out the Brooms Today - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- LHV Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Indy's Sunday Doubleheader in Buffalo Iced Out - Indianapolis Indians
- Chiefs and Tides Finale Postponed Due to Freezing Temperatures - Syracuse Mets
- Sunday's Bisons Doubleheader against Indianpolis Postponed - Buffalo Bisons
- Sunday Maroons Debut on Jackie Robinson Day - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.