Bats Win in Extras, 5-4
The Louisville Bats (4-6) avoided the sweep against the Lehigh Valley IronPigs (5-4) on Sunday afternoon, winning 5-4 at Coca-Cola Park. It was the Bats' first extra innings game this season under the new rules.
Louisville scored two runs in the top of the 10th inning on a Steve Selsky RBI single that scored Nick Senzel, who occupied second base to start the inning under the new Minor League Baseball rules in place for the 2018 season. Pinch-hitter D.J. Peterson provided a key insurance run, doubling in Selsky to make it a 5-3 game and ultimately give the Bats their first road win of the season.
The Bats scored first in the game when Selsky was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded, the fourth game in a row that Louisville scored first.
Bats starting pitcher, left-hander Justin Nicolino (1-0, 1.64) got the no-decision, pitching 6.0 innings and giving up one earned run on six hits, walking one and striking out four.
Right-hander Zack Weiss recorded Louisville's first save of the season, pitching the bottom of the 10th against the IronPigs. Weiss was technically charged with an unearned run, allowing the Lehigh Valley baserunner who started on second base to begin the inning to score, making Peterson's RBI double for Louisville even more significant.
With the win, the Bats avoided losing four straight games in which they scored first for the first time since May 11-14, 2017 against the Charlotte Knights.
The Bats climb back to two games below .500 on the young season, and head to Buffalo to face the Bisons for the next three games before returning home to Louisville Slugger Field on Friday, April 20. The Bats will start right-hander Robert Stephenson (1-1, 3.65) in game one of the series set for Monday. Buffalo is expected to counter with right-hander Deck McGuire (1-0, 10.80) with first pitch set for 6:00 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from April 15, 2018
- Pigs Fall in Extra Innings 5-4 - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Bats Win in Extras, 5-4 - Louisville Bats
- Knights Fall to RailRiders 4-3 in Rain Shortened Game Sunday - Charlotte Knights
- Short & Sweet: RailRiders win 4-3 in five Sunday - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Red Wings, Stripers Postponed Sunday - Rochester Red Wings
- Louisville Bats Notes: April 15 - Louisville Bats
- Gwinnett Stripers, Rochester Postponed Sunday - Gwinnett Stripers
- PawSox and Mud Hens Postponed Due to Rain - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Mud Hens Game Cancelled - Toledo Mud Hens
- Durham at Columbus Postponed - Columbus Clippers
- Pigs Hope to Break out the Brooms Today - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- LHV Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Indy's Sunday Doubleheader in Buffalo Iced Out - Indianapolis Indians
- Chiefs and Tides Finale Postponed Due to Freezing Temperatures - Syracuse Mets
- Sunday's Bisons Doubleheader against Indianpolis Postponed - Buffalo Bisons
- Sunday Maroons Debut on Jackie Robinson Day - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Louisville Bats Stories
- Louisville Mashers to Return in 2019
- Top 20: Best Baseball Players Born in Kentucky
- Omni Louisville Named Official Hotel of the Louisville Bats
- 2018 Offseason Update: Reds Prospects and Former Bats
- Louisville Bats Shortstop Blake Trahan Wins 2018 Rawlings Gold Glove Award