Pigs Hope to Break out the Brooms Today
The Lehigh Valley IronPigs and Louisville Bats wrap up their four-game series with some afternoon baseball at Coca-Cola Park today at 1:35 p.m.
Enyel De Los Santos was brilliant in his first start against Scranton/Wilkes-Barre and will make Coca-Cola Park debut. Former big-leaguer Justin Nicolino will start the finale for Louisville. Today's starting pitching matchup is presented by Allentown Family Foot Care, which provides the latest in medical and surgical treatments of the entire foot and ankle. Learn more at affc.com.
Acquired for Freddy Galvis this offseason, De Los Santos has quickly proven that he is one of the most exciting arms in the Phillies system. The 22-year-old made his Triple-A debut Tuesday in Scranton and was absolutely dominant. In five innings of work, De Los Santos allowed just one run, and struck out seven.
Nicolino is former second round pick of the Blue Jays in 2010 out of University High School in Orlando, Florida. The lefty was traded to the Marlins in a 2012 blockbuster that sent Mark Buehrle, Josh Johnson and Jose Reyes to the Blue Jays. He made his major league debut with the Marlins against the Reds on in June 2015. The now-26-year-old made has made one start this season, going five innings and earning the win while striking out six.
LAST NIGHT: The IronPigs rallied from an early 3-0 hole to defeat the Louisville Bats 7-6 on a windy Saturday night at Coca-Cola Park. Five different Pigs drove in at least one run including Mitch Walding, who hit his first Triple-A home run.
The Pigs needed the whole order to get things done in Game 3 and take the series. The Pigs trailed by one Thursday evening before scoring 13 unanswered to win 13-1. On Friday, the Pigs came back from two runs down to win again. In Game 3, the Bats plated three runs in the second inning against Pigs starter Cole Irvin, who did not earn a decision in his first start at Coca-Cola Park.
Pedro Beato came on to record the final four outs of the game and pick up his third save in as many attempts this season. Beato is now three saves away from becoming the IronPigs' all-time saves leader.
TODAY AT COCA-COLA PARK: The Pigs remember Hall of Famer Jackie Robinson this afternoon. The first 3,000 fans 18 and older will receive a Jackie Robinson Commemorative Glass. On the field, the team will sport their Sunday maroon jerseys for the first game. After the game, the first Kids Run the Bases presented by Lehigh Valley Health Network will take place around the diamond.
The 2018 Season is the IronPigs' 11th season at Coca-Cola Park and 11th as the top affiliate of the Philadelphia Phillies. Fans can get closer to the team than ever before with a Bacon, USA membership -- a year-round IronPigs experience pass featuring numerous amenities such as savings on parking at games and at the Majestic Clubhouse Store at Coca-Cola Park, on-field VIP access to watch batting practice, access to the annual holiday party, and more. For more information, click here or call (610) 841-PIGS (7447).
The 2018 IronPigs baseball season is presented by Capital BlueCross.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from April 15, 2018
- Pigs Fall in Extra Innings 5-4 - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Bats Win in Extras, 5-4 - Louisville Bats
- Knights Fall to RailRiders 4-3 in Rain Shortened Game Sunday - Charlotte Knights
- Short & Sweet: RailRiders win 4-3 in five Sunday - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Red Wings, Stripers Postponed Sunday - Rochester Red Wings
- Louisville Bats Notes: April 15 - Louisville Bats
- Gwinnett Stripers, Rochester Postponed Sunday - Gwinnett Stripers
- PawSox and Mud Hens Postponed Due to Rain - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Mud Hens Game Cancelled - Toledo Mud Hens
- Durham at Columbus Postponed - Columbus Clippers
- Pigs Hope to Break out the Brooms Today - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- LHV Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Indy's Sunday Doubleheader in Buffalo Iced Out - Indianapolis Indians
- Chiefs and Tides Finale Postponed Due to Freezing Temperatures - Syracuse Chiefs
- Sunday's Bisons Doubleheader against Indianpolis Postponed - Buffalo Bisons
- Sunday Maroons Debut on Jackie Robinson Day - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lehigh Valley IronPigs Stories
- Pigs Even Series with 10-Inning Win
- LHV Game Notes
- The Setup: Pigs Look to Get Back on Track in Toledo
- Pigs Drop Opener in Toledo
- LHV Game Notes