Pigs Fall in Extra Innings 5-4
Runs were hard to come by the series finale between the Lehigh Valley IronPigs and the Louisville Bats. Lehigh Valley came into the game winners of seven straight against the Bats at Coca-Cola Park but could not make it eight as the Louisville took the finale of the four-game series 5-4 in 10 innings Sunday afternoon.
Brandon Leibrandt backed up Pigs starter Enyel De Los Santos who struck out seven in three innings of work. Taking over in the fourth, Leibrandt retired the first 11 batters that he faced including four strikeouts. After allowing a two-out double, Leibrandt fanned his fifth batter to keep the score at 1-1 heading into the bottom of the seventh.
The Pigs were limited to six hits through the first seven innings. With the bases loaded in the second inning, Nick Rickles lifted a sacrifice fly to right-center field to bring home Joey Meneses and tie the game at one.
Both teams traded unearned runs in the eighth inning to make it a 3-3. Lehigh Valley had an opportunity to make it a fourth straight come-from-behind win against the Bats but Tyler Goedell threw out Dean Anna at home plate to keep the game tied.
The Pigs had one more shot to win the ball game in the ninth when they loaded the bases. Jimmy Herget was able to work around a lead-off double by Jesmuel Valentin to force the game into extras - the Pigs' first extra-inning game of 2018.
In the top of the 10th inning, Louisville rallied for two runs to take a 5-3 lead against Zac Curtis 0-1). Louisville took the lead on a two-out RBI single by Steve Slesky to score the runner that started the 10th on second, then added insurance on a double by pinch-hitter DJ Peterson.
The Pigs were able to cut the deficit to one on a RBI ground-out by Andrew Pullin. But were unable to plate the second to complete the four-game sweep.
The Pigs will welcome the Norfolk Tides to Coca-Cola Park at 7:05 p.m. Monday night to begin a three-game series. Jake Thompson will make his second start of the season for the Pigs. The first 1,500 fans 17 and under will receive an IronPigs knit cap.
The 2018 Season is the IronPigs' 11th season at Coca-Cola Park and 11th as the top affiliate of the Philadelphia Phillies. Fans can get closer to the team than ever before with a Bacon, USA membership -- a year-round IronPigs experience pass featuring numerous amenities such as savings on parking at games and at the Majestic Clubhouse Store at Coca-Cola Park, on-field VIP access to watch batting practice, access to the annual holiday party, and more. For more information, visit ironpigsbaseball.com or call (610) 841-PIGS (7447).
The 2018 IronPigs baseball season is presented by Capital BlueCross.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from April 15, 2018
- Pigs Fall in Extra Innings 5-4 - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Bats Win in Extras, 5-4 - Louisville Bats
- Knights Fall to RailRiders 4-3 in Rain Shortened Game Sunday - Charlotte Knights
- Short & Sweet: RailRiders win 4-3 in five Sunday - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Red Wings, Stripers Postponed Sunday - Rochester Red Wings
- Louisville Bats Notes: April 15 - Louisville Bats
- Gwinnett Stripers, Rochester Postponed Sunday - Gwinnett Stripers
- PawSox and Mud Hens Postponed Due to Rain - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Mud Hens Game Cancelled - Toledo Mud Hens
- Durham at Columbus Postponed - Columbus Clippers
- Pigs Hope to Break out the Brooms Today - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- LHV Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Indy's Sunday Doubleheader in Buffalo Iced Out - Indianapolis Indians
- Chiefs and Tides Finale Postponed Due to Freezing Temperatures - Syracuse Chiefs
- Sunday's Bisons Doubleheader against Indianpolis Postponed - Buffalo Bisons
- Sunday Maroons Debut on Jackie Robinson Day - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lehigh Valley IronPigs Stories
- 2018 IronPigs Season-In-Review
- #LVWantsLeBron Wins Two Golden Bobblehead Awards
- Inaugural Suites N Treats Preview & Costume Party Scheduled October 24
- Pigs See Season End in Extras
- LHV Game Notes