Shawaryn Leads Pawtucket Bullpen in 7-4 Victory
MOOSIC, Pa. - On yet another bullpen day for the Pawtucket Red Sox pitching staff, the PawSox downed the division-leading Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders, 7-4, on Tuesday night at PNC Field.
After scheduled starter Josh Smith was summoned to the big leagues for a sixth time this season, Pawtucket (54-72) used four relievers and rode an 11-hit offensive performance to a victory over the RailRiders (67-60) to even the four-game series at one game apiece. The PawSox scored three runs in the third, one in the fourth, two in the sixth and one key insurance tally in the ninth in the win.
Making his second spot start on a bullpen day in an 11-day span, Mike Shawaryn fired four innings of one-run ball. Colten Brewer (W, 1-1) pitched out of a jam in the fifth, and Tanner Houck (S, 1) earned his first professional save by recording the final six outs of the ballgame on 44 pitches.
Pawtucket shortstop C.J. Chatham went 2-for-5 with a two-run double in the third and an RBI single in the ninth and is now 11-for-35 (.314) with a .792 OPS in his first eight career Triple-A games. Jantzen Witte (2-for-5, 2B, RBI) and Gorkys Hernández (3-for-3, 2B, 3B, RBI, HBP) helped power the offense. ?scar Hernández connected on his fifth homer of the season.
RailRiders starter Brody Koerner (L, 4-4) ceded six runs on 10 hits in six innings.
After falling behind 1-0 in the first, Pawtucket plated three runs in the third on Chatham's two-run two-bagger and Witte's RBI single. In the fourth, Bobby Dalbec doubled and scored on a Gorkys Hernández double. Oscar Hernández skied a two-run shot in the sixth to make it 6-1.
The RailRiders scored two runs in the home half of the sixth, but Chatham drove in a run with a scalded single up the middle in the ninth to restore the Pawtucket lead to 7-3.
The PawSox continue their four-game series against the RailRiders on Wednesday at 7:05 p.m. Pawtucket left-hander Kyle Hart (9-5, 3.86) is scheduled to oppose RailRiders righty Nick Nelson (0-1, 7.20). Radio coverage on WHJJ (920 AM and 104.7 FM) and throughout the PawSox Radio Network begins with the pre-game show at 6:35 p.m.
Following their seven-game road trip through Scranton and Buffalo, the PawSox return home for a nine-game homestand August 26th through September 2nd (Monday-Monday) against the Yankees' and Phillies' Triple-A affiliates.
On August 27 (Tuesday), the PawSox will again play as the popular Osos Polares de Pawtucket. Then on August 29 (Thursday), the PawSox will host Team Poster and Autograph Night. The first 5,000 fans entering the stadium will receive a full-color PawSox Team Poster suitable for framing. From 5-6 PM before the game, fans will also be allowed on the field for pictures and autographs with their favorite players. On August 30 (Friday), the PawSox will take the field as the Pawtucket Fightin' Quahogs in a name change that pays homage to one of Rhode Island's most famous cuisines. The PawSox will wear caps and jerseys featuring the Fightin' Quahogs logo for the second game of that Friday doubleheader. On August 31 (Saturday), fans can enjoy post-game fireworks set to music from Motown. On September 1 (Sunday), fans can play catch on the field and then run the bases post-game on a Sunday FunDay.
During the homestretch, the PawSox will admit for free children 16 and under. They'll also let "kids run the show" at each game. Parents also have the option to partake of a new "End of Summer Family Bargain" in which they each receive a General Admission ticket, $2 in loaded value (good for food, beverage, or merchandise), and a PawSox cap, all for $12 (a $26 value).
Good tickets are available, and fans can visit the McCoy Stadium box office, which is open Monday-Friday from 10 a.m. through 5 p.m., and during all home games. Fans can also call (401) 724-7300 or log on to PawSox.com for tickets.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from August 20, 2019
- Norfolk Sends Gwinnett to Third Straight Loss, 5-1 - Gwinnett Stripers
- Zimmermann, Pair of Homers Give Tides a Win - Norfolk Tides
- Mets Win Seventh Straight Game with 11-8 Victory over IronPigs - Syracuse Mets
- Slugfest favors Syracuse in win over IronPigs - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Wild Card-Leading Knights Charge Past the Bulls 9-3 Tuesday - Charlotte Knights
- Four RailRiders record multi-hit nights in loss to PawSox - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Durham Drops Second Straight to Charlotte - Durham Bulls
- Shawaryn Leads Pawtucket Bullpen in 7-4 Victory - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Wings Great Late in 4-1 Win - Rochester Red Wings
- Louisville Blanked in Columbus, 5-0 - Louisville Bats
- Mud Hens-Indians Postponed Until Wednesday - Toledo Mud Hens
- Indians-Mud Hens Postponed in Toledo - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Knights Launch "Fields for Our Future" Renovation Program - Charlotte Knights
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (61-65) at Toledo Mud Hens (58-68) - Indianapolis Indians
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Rochester (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Bisons Announce 'Fan Appreciation Week' by Adding Even More Promotions to Final 4 Home Games (August 26-29) - Buffalo Bisons
- 'Fan Appreciation Week' Brings Added Promotions to Each Game, August 26-29 - Buffalo Bisons
- Blue Jays Top Pitching Prospect, RHP Nate Pearson, Promoted to the Bisons - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (53-73) at Columbus Clippers (72-54) - Louisville Bats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.