Durham Drops Second Straight to Charlotte
DURHAM, NC - The Durham Bulls offense couldn't keep pace with the Charlotte Knights Tuesday night at the DBAP, as the Knights defeated the Bulls by a final score of 9-3. Justin Nicolino (7-5) recorded the victory for the Knights, while Sam McWilliams (1-5) suffered the loss for the Bulls.
Yoan Moncada got the Knights on the board early, with an RBI groundout to take a 1-0 lead in the first. Luis Robert quickly added on with a solo home run over the Blue Monster to extend the lead to 2-0 before the Bulls came to the plate. After a scoreless second inning, the Knights added two more runs in the third, scoring on a passed ball and an RBI groundout by Yermin Mercedes to make it 4-0.
The Bulls were able to get one run back on an RBI triple by Emilio Bonifacio to cut the deficit to 4-1 in the fourth, but the Knights put their foot on the gas, scoring five unanswered runs. Mercedes tallied a sacrifice fly and Charlie Tilson drove in another run in the fifth inning on an RBI single making it 6-1. In the sixth inning, all three runs came on a Daniel Palka three-run blast to right center field to make it 9-1.
More late-inning runs came out of the Bulls offense in the seventh inning, with two runs brought in on a Kean Wong single to make it 9-3. However, the Bulls stranded two runners that inning and failed to generate more offense.
The Bulls and Knights will meet two more times in this series, with game three at 7:05 pm at the DBAP on Wednesday. Left-hander Josh Fleming makes his DBAP debut and will face off against Knights right-hander Odrisamer Despaigne.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from August 20, 2019
- Norfolk Sends Gwinnett to Third Straight Loss, 5-1 - Gwinnett Stripers
- Zimmermann, Pair of Homers Give Tides a Win - Norfolk Tides
- Mets Win Seventh Straight Game with 11-8 Victory over IronPigs - Syracuse Mets
- Slugfest favors Syracuse in win over IronPigs - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Wild Card-Leading Knights Charge Past the Bulls 9-3 Tuesday - Charlotte Knights
- Four RailRiders record multi-hit nights in loss to PawSox - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Durham Drops Second Straight to Charlotte - Durham Bulls
- Shawaryn Leads Pawtucket Bullpen in 7-4 Victory - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Wings Great Late in 4-1 Win - Rochester Red Wings
- Louisville Blanked in Columbus, 5-0 - Louisville Bats
- Mud Hens-Indians Postponed Until Wednesday - Toledo Mud Hens
- Indians-Mud Hens Postponed in Toledo - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Knights Launch "Fields for Our Future" Renovation Program - Charlotte Knights
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (61-65) at Toledo Mud Hens (58-68) - Indianapolis Indians
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Rochester (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Bisons Announce 'Fan Appreciation Week' by Adding Even More Promotions to Final 4 Home Games (August 26-29) - Buffalo Bisons
- 'Fan Appreciation Week' Brings Added Promotions to Each Game, August 26-29 - Buffalo Bisons
- Blue Jays Top Pitching Prospect, RHP Nate Pearson, Promoted to the Bisons - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (53-73) at Columbus Clippers (72-54) - Louisville Bats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.