Sea Dogs Swept in Doubleheader
Portland, Maine - The New Hampshire Fisher Cats (33-37) swept a doubleheader from the Portland Sea Dogs (45-26) Wednesday night at Hadlock Field falling 6-1 in game one and 3-2 in game two.
In game one the Fisher Cats took a 3-0 lead in the third inning with a Nick Podkul three-run homer.
Otto Lopez had a RBI single in the fourth to extend the lead to 4-0.
Portland scored their lone run in the bottom of the fourth when Pedro Castellanos tripled and scored on a throwing error by right-fielder Chavez Young. Castellanos went 3-for-3 in the game and extended his hit streak to 14 games.
The Fisher Cats added two additional runs in the seventh including a solo home run by Young, his fourth of the year.
Frank German (3-5) took the loss allowing four runs (three earned) on six hits. He walked two and struck out four.
In the second game the Sea Dogs managed just two hits.
The Fisher Cats took a quick 2-0 lead in the first inning. Austin Martin was hit by a Brayan Bello pitch to lead off the game. Martin scored on a Young triple. While Young scooted home on a Jordan Groshans sacrifice fly to right.
Portland tied the game at two in the second when Ryan Fitzgerald connected for his tenth home run of the season, a two-run shot to right off New Hampshire starter Fitz Stadler.
New Hampshire broke the 2-2 tie in the sixth inning when Samad Taylor doubled, advanced to third on a ground out, and scored on a wild pitch from Joan Martinez.
Castellanos went 0-for-3 in the game-ending his 14-game hit streak.
Bello struck out ten batters in his 4 2/3 innings of work. He held the Fisher Cats to two runs on five hits. Joan Martinez (0-1) suffered the loss for Portland.
Connor Law (1-0) earned the win with a perfect inning of relief. While Graham Spraker (1) earned the save with a 1-2-3 ninth inning with two strikeouts.
The Sea Dogs and the Fisher Cats will play game three of the series Thursday night at 6:00 PM.
Right-handed pitcher Victor Santos (0-1, 3.00) will make his first start in a Sea Dogs uniform. He will be opposed by righty Casey Lawrence (1-0, 0.00). Radio coverage on the WPEI Sea Dogs Radio Network, built by General Dynamics/ Bath Iron Works, begins at 5:45 PM. The game is also available on MiLB.TV.
• Discuss this story on the Double-A Northeast League message board...
Double-A Northeast League Stories from July 28, 2021
- SeaWolves Snap Another 6-Game RubberDucks Wining Streak, 10-2 - Akron RubberDucks
- Fisher Cats Sweep Doubleheader with Sea Dogs on Wednesday - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Sea Dogs Swept in Doubleheader - Portland Sea Dogs
- Four-Run Second Leads Fightins to Win - Somerset Patriots
- Reading's Four Run Inning Helps Top Somerset - Reading Fightin Phils
- Yard Goats Fall to Ponies 3-2 - Hartford Yard Goats
- Ladwig Shines for Erie in Win over Akron - Erie SeaWolves
- Lead Slips away from Senators - Harrisburg Senators
- Squirrels Snap Slide with 5-2 Win over Baysox - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- SeaWolves to Host Wonders Reunion at UPMC Park - Erie SeaWolves
- Game Information - Erie SeaWolves vs. Akron RubberDucks - Erie SeaWolves
- Casey Is Golden as Yard Goats Surge to Win - Hartford Yard Goats
- Flying Squirrels Lose 6-1, Extend Season-High Loss Streak to Six Games - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Three Early Homers Lift Ducks to 5-3 Win in Erie - Akron RubberDucks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.