Santa Cruz Warriors Fall to Salt Lake City Stars, 102-78
SANTA CRUZ, CA -The Santa Cruz Warriors (25-10) fell to the Salt Lake City Stars (17-18) 102-78 tonight at the Vivant Smart Home Arena, the home of the NBA's Utah Jazz.
Six Warriors scored in double figures, including guard Will Cherry's 12 points in a season-high 39 minutes. Center Deyonta Davis scored 10 points and nine rebounds, narrowly missing his third consecutive double-double, while forward Kevin Young shared the team-high with 14 points off the bench. Guard Darius Morris returned to action for the first time since January 5, logging 10 points and a game-high eight assists.
The well-rounded Stars offense saw reserves Tanner McGrew and Justin Reyes scoring 16 points each off the bench tonight, with McGrew also logging 10 rebounds for his first double-double of the season. Eight Salt Lake City Stars players logged at least eight points tonight, including two-way forward Tyler Cavanaugh with 15 points and 10 rebounds and center Isaac Haas with 14 points, five rebounds and three blocks.
Warriors two-way guard Damion Lee scored nine of his 11 points in the first quarter tonight to keep the Sea Dubs afloat, but Salt Lake City shot 50.0 percent from the field (11-of-22 FG, 5-of-10 3FG) to give the home team a 28-18 first quarter lead. McGrew scored eight points early in the second period to build the Stars lead up to 15, but Cherry led a 10-2 Warriors run to bring the halftime deficit to six, 46-40.
The Stars shot 51.4 percent (18-of-35 FG) in the second half and forced the Warriors into 35.7 percent shooting (15-of-42 FG), including 0-for-12 from three, to build their lead up to 28 to secure the win. After shooting 4-of-29 from three tonight (13.8 percent 3FG), Santa Cruz has now shot 7-of-52 from behind the arc in their last two games (13.4 percent 3FG).
Santa Cruz will continue their three-game road trip this Sunday, February 10 for a 2:00 p.m. tip-off against the Fort Wayne Mad Ants at the Allen County War Memorial Coliseum. The Warriors will return to the Bay Area on Sunday, February 24 to host the Oklahoma City Blue (25-11) at Oracle Arena (tip-off 5:00 p.m. PST, NBC Sports Bay Area). The first 10,000 fans in attendance that afternoon will receive a limited-edition Klay Thompson Santa Cruz Edition Bobblehead. For tickets to the team's game at Oracle Arena, visit santacruzbasketball.com or call (831) 713-4400.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from February 9, 2019
- Harvey Leads Hustle in Wire-To-Wire Win - Texas Legends
- Reynolds, Kings Cruise Past Skyforce - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Hustle Continue First Half Dominance for Third Straight Win - Memphis Hustle
- Swarm Hold off BayHawks in Front of Capacity Crowd - Greensboro Swarm
- Garrett Gives 39 Points; Knicks Knock off Nets in Double Overtime, 134-130 - Westchester Knicks
- Drive Dominate Bulls for Fourth Straight Win - Grand Rapids Drive
- Wolves Unable to Stop Lethal Three Point Barrage from Blue Coats - Iowa Wolves
- Blue Coats Drain Season-High 24 Threes in Win over Wolves - Delaware Blue Coats
- Magic Cruise Past Go-Go - Capital City Go-Go
- Red Claws Hold on for 5th Win in 7 Games - Maine Red Claws
- Knicks Acquire Kevin Olekaibe - Westchester Knicks
- Knicks and Nets Clash for Intrastate Battle - Westchester Knicks
- Jaylen Adams Transferred to Atlanta - Erie BayHawks
- Agua Caliente Clippers Acquire Returning Rights to Ray McCallum - Agua Caliente Clippers
- Drive Acquire Rights to Jamel Artis - Grand Rapids Drive
- Stars Defeat Warriors at Vivint Smart Home Arena - Salt Lake City Stars
- South Bay Loses Heartbreaker to Rio Grande Valley - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- South Bay Loses Heartbreaker to Rio Grande Valley - South Bay Lakers
- Santa Cruz Warriors Fall to Salt Lake City Stars, 102-78 - Santa Cruz Warriors
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Santa Cruz Warriors Stories
- Santa Cruz Warriors to Host Three Hardwood Classics Nights
- Santa Cruz Warriors Name Ryan Atkinson General Manager
- Santa Cruz Warriors Announce 2019-20 Season Schedule
- Santa Cruz Warriors Name Kris Weems Head Coach
- Golden State Warriors Sign Ky Bowman & Damion Lee to Two-Way Contracts