Hustle Continue First Half Dominance for Third Straight Win
Frisco, Texas - The Memphis Hustle (20-16) won its third straight game Saturday night at Comerica Center with a 115-94 victory over the Texas Legends (13-24). The Hustle won in wire-to-wire fashion for the fourth time this season and for the second straight game. Memphis swept the season series with Texas (3-0) after going 0-3 against the Legends in its inaugural season.
For the second straight night, the Hustle dominated the first half by taking a 65-40 lead into the break. Memphis knocked down 58.3 percent of its field goal attempts (25-43 FG) while holding Texas to 15-of-48 (.312) from the field. The Hustle doubled Texas up in the paint (36-18) and in fastbreak situations (15-7). The visitors also forced 13 Texas turnovers.
Memphis started each quarter fast, going on an 8-0 run to begin the first quarter and then a 10-0 run to start the second frame, which pushed the Hustle lead to 41-24 early in the period. With Memphis holding an 18-point lead (55-37) with 3:22 left in the half, Tyler Harvey found Nino Johnson down low and then converted Memphis' second four-point play in as many games to push the lead to 24 (61-37).
Texas won the third quarter by a 28-21 margin and eventually cut the lead to just 10 (94-84) with 6:45 remaining in the final frame before Memphis obtained some more cushion for the lead and cruised to victory.
Tyler Harvey had another stellar performance with 30 points on 11-of-18 shooting (5-9 3P) to go with a game-high seven assists. Dusty Hannahs had 16 of his 18 points in the first half. Tarik Phillip added 17 points (7-12 FG) to go with eight rebounds. Justin Tillman had a double-double of 12 points and 10 rebounds in a reserve role. Doral Moore posted 11 points while Kyle Casey added 10 of his own.
Two-way player Kostas Antetokounmpo and Keith Hornsby led the Legends with 16 points each. Two-way player Daryl Macon and former Grizzlies guard Xavier Rathan-Mayes both poured in 13 points. Vander Blue had 12 points off the bench.
The Hustle returns to Landers Center on Wednesday, February 13 at 7 p.m. to take on the Iowa Wolves. Tickets are still available starting at $10 each and fans wishing to attend can purchase tickets at ticketmaster.com, the Landers Center Box Office, online at MemphisHustle.com or by calling (901) 888-HOOP.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from February 9, 2019
- Harvey Leads Hustle in Wire-To-Wire Win - Texas Legends
- Reynolds, Kings Cruise Past Skyforce - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Hustle Continue First Half Dominance for Third Straight Win - Memphis Hustle
- Swarm Hold off BayHawks in Front of Capacity Crowd - Greensboro Swarm
- Garrett Gives 39 Points; Knicks Knock off Nets in Double Overtime, 134-130 - Westchester Knicks
- Drive Dominate Bulls for Fourth Straight Win - Grand Rapids Drive
- Wolves Unable to Stop Lethal Three Point Barrage from Blue Coats - Iowa Wolves
- Blue Coats Drain Season-High 24 Threes in Win over Wolves - Delaware Blue Coats
- Magic Cruise Past Go-Go - Capital City Go-Go
- Red Claws Hold on for 5th Win in 7 Games - Maine Red Claws
- Knicks Acquire Kevin Olekaibe - Westchester Knicks
- Knicks and Nets Clash for Intrastate Battle - Westchester Knicks
- Jaylen Adams Transferred to Atlanta - Erie BayHawks
- Agua Caliente Clippers Acquire Returning Rights to Ray McCallum - Agua Caliente Clippers
- Drive Acquire Rights to Jamel Artis - Grand Rapids Drive
- Stars Defeat Warriors at Vivint Smart Home Arena - Salt Lake City Stars
- South Bay Loses Heartbreaker to Rio Grande Valley - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- South Bay Loses Heartbreaker to Rio Grande Valley - South Bay Lakers
- Santa Cruz Warriors Fall to Salt Lake City Stars, 102-78 - Santa Cruz Warriors
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Memphis Hustle Stories
- Memphis Hustle Announce Time Changes for Games on November 15, December 30 and December 31
- Yuta Watanabe to Make Special Appearance at Memphis Japan Festival on Sunday, September 29
- Memphis Grizzlies Medical Update
- Memphis Hustle to Hold Open Tryout Session at Desoto Central High School Saturday, September 28
- Memphis Grizzlies to Host Grizzlies Night at Levitt Shell this Friday, September 20