South Bay Loses Heartbreaker to Rio Grande Valley
EL SEGUNDO- The South Bay Lakers suffered a heartbreaking loss as they fell to the Rio Grande Valley Vipers, 128-127, on Friday night. Scott Machado tallied 20 points and 10 assists off the bench for the Lakers (13-22) and Johnathan Williams tallied his 15th double-double of the season. Michael Frazier led the Vipers (25-12) with 27 points.
The Vipers jumped out to a six-point lead after one, 34-28, as Gary Clark scored eight points in the first quarter. Isaac Bonga and Williams combined for 15 points in the opening frame to keep the Lakers close. RGV extended their lead at the half, 72-57, behind nine points from Danuel House Jr. in the second quarter. Machado and Andre Ingram combined for 13 points in the second quarter for South Bay.
The Lakers started to climb back into it in the third quarter as they poured in 41 points in the frame, to go into the final quarter with a 105-98 deficit. Machado scored nine points in the fourth, but three free throws by House Jr. in the closing seconds secured the win for the visiting team.
Frazier's game-high 27 points (7-11 3FG) led the Vipers to the win as House Jr. poured in 24 points of his own. Clark was the only other Viper to score in double figures, finishing with 16 points, six rebounds, five assists and two blocks.
Double-doubles from Machado and Williams paced the Lakers as Bonga finished the night with 20 points, eight rebounds, two assists, three steals and three blocks. Alex Caruso and Travis Wear scored 16 points apiece, while Ingram (12 points) and Justin Harper (11 points) also scored in double figures.
South Bay will now head out to Oklahoma to face the Oklahoma City Blue on Sunday, February 10 at 12:00pm PT from the Cox Convention Center.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from February 9, 2019
- Harvey Leads Hustle in Wire-To-Wire Win - Texas Legends
- Reynolds, Kings Cruise Past Skyforce - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Hustle Continue First Half Dominance for Third Straight Win - Memphis Hustle
- Swarm Hold off BayHawks in Front of Capacity Crowd - Greensboro Swarm
- Garrett Gives 39 Points; Knicks Knock off Nets in Double Overtime, 134-130 - Westchester Knicks
- Drive Dominate Bulls for Fourth Straight Win - Grand Rapids Drive
- Wolves Unable to Stop Lethal Three Point Barrage from Blue Coats - Iowa Wolves
- Blue Coats Drain Season-High 24 Threes in Win over Wolves - Delaware Blue Coats
- Magic Cruise Past Go-Go - Capital City Go-Go
- Red Claws Hold on for 5th Win in 7 Games - Maine Red Claws
- Knicks Acquire Kevin Olekaibe - Westchester Knicks
- Knicks and Nets Clash for Intrastate Battle - Westchester Knicks
- Jaylen Adams Transferred to Atlanta - Erie BayHawks
- Agua Caliente Clippers Acquire Returning Rights to Ray McCallum - Agua Caliente Clippers
- Drive Acquire Rights to Jamel Artis - Grand Rapids Drive
- Stars Defeat Warriors at Vivint Smart Home Arena - Salt Lake City Stars
- South Bay Loses Heartbreaker to Rio Grande Valley - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- South Bay Loses Heartbreaker to Rio Grande Valley - South Bay Lakers
- Santa Cruz Warriors Fall to Salt Lake City Stars, 102-78 - Santa Cruz Warriors
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.