San Diego Gulls to Honor U.S. Armed Forces During Military Weekend November 9-10
SAN DIEGO - The San Diego Gulls announced today that the American Hockey League (AHL) club will honor the U.S. Armed Forces by hosting Military Weekend this Friday, Nov. 9 and Saturday, Nov. 10 vs. the Colorado Eagles at Valley View Casino Center (both games at 7 p.m.). This special weekend will pay tribute to local military members and their families, as well as raise awareness and funds for local military nonprofit organizations.
Military Weekend will see the Gulls provide tickets, at no cost, to over 4,000 military members and their families as part of a ticket donation plan to benefit local service members where the Gulls matched all fan contributions.
San Diego will wear a new patriotic-themed specialty jersey each night during the weekend. Select game-worn Gulls jerseys will be autographed and available for a silent auction following the Saturday, Nov. 10 contest on the concourse at Section 10. A game-worn jersey raffle will begin each night at 6 p.m. and end at the conclusion of the second period each game. A select number of game-worn jerseys will be available via the DASH Auction app, a digital auction platform. Fans can download the DASH Auction app via iOS or Android devices in the app store. All proceeds raised by the San Diego Gulls Foundation via the auction and raffles will be donated to the Armed Services YMCA, Operation Rebound of the Challenged Athletes Foundation and All-Star Vets. Fans can also text DASH to 66866 to download the app.
During both games, the Gulls Community Spotlight will feature military-specific charitable organizations. Friday, Nov. 9 will honor Shelter to Soldier, a nonprofit organization that adopts dogs from local shelters and trains them to become psychiatric service dogs for post-Sept. 11 combat veterans suffering from Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). The Saturday, Nov. 10 Community Spotlight will honor the Armed Services YMCA, Operation Rebound of the Challenged Athletes Foundation and All-Star Vets. Each game will also feature a Prisoner of War/Missing in Action (POW/MIA) Table by Section 13 on the concourse dedicated to the tradition of setting a table decorated in special symbols in honor of POW/MIA comrades.
On Friday, Nov. 9, all fans in attendance will receive a free Gulls desert camouflage hat. The Nov. 9 game will begin with the Jr. Gulls Squirt BB Team from Ice-Plex Escondido unfurling the American flag on the ice prior to a ceremonial national anthem performed by honorary military members. The ceremonial puck drop will feature former San Diego Padres pitcher Randy Jones and U.S. Army Spc. Curtis Gandee on behalf of the Randy Jones Foundation, a nonprofit organization that provides new opportunities and resources for military kids to participate in local sporting events, programs and outdoor activities.
The Gulls will honor Ret. Navy Corpsman and Bronze Star/Purple Heart recipient Daniel "Doc" Jacobs who will be presented with a plaque as the Military Hero of the Game on Friday, Nov. 9. The special plaque will be placed at the Mt. Soledad National Veterans Memorial next week. Doc Jacobs will be the first Gulls and Mt. Soledad Veteran of the Month in conjunction with San Diego Veterans Coalition. Not only was Doc one of the few amputees to return to the Fleet Marine Force for the Navy, but he also made U.S. Naval and Marine Corps history by being the first amputee Corpsman and Naval Personnel ever to be assigned to an infantry unit.
Military Weekend will culminate on Saturday, Nov. 10, and fans are encouraged to arrive early Saturday evening for the military-themed Bud Light Pre-game Tailgate from 5-7 p.m. The tailgate, located in the North Parking Lot, will feature a $5 Bud Light Truck, military vehicles on display, food truck options, street hockey, photos with the Gulls Girls and Gulliver, and interactive games for fans of all ages. Prior to the tailgate, Patriots Hockey, a veteran charity hockey club, will host the San Diego Heat (Fire Rescue Hockey Club) on the ice at Valley View Casino Center (2:30-4 p.m.). The charity hockey game is free of charge.
As part of Saturday's contest, military families from THE RINKS - Poway ICE will unfurl a large American flag on the ice prior to a ceremonial national anthem performed by honorary military members. Saturday's ceremonial puck drop will feature Ret. U.S. Air Force Medical Administration Spc. Gary Rossio. Saturday's Military Hero of the Game will honor U.S. Marine Cpl. Andrew Adrian, a student veteran at San Diego State University and local business owner.
Following Saturday's contest, Gulls captain Jaycob Megna and two alternate captains will provide team-autographed sticks to three military families on the ice immediately after the final horn. In addition, active and retired service members and their families are invited to take part in a post-game family skate with Gulls players on the Valley View Casino Center ice following the game on Nov. 10 by signing up at the Section 10 booth. Limited space is available.
The Gulls' home arena, Valley View Casino Center, will offer free parking to anyone with a military ID for both Military Weekend games.
A limited number of tickets for Military Weekend are still available. Individual game tickets can be purchased through SanDiegoGulls.com/tickets, by calling (844) GO GULLS or in person at the Valley View Casino Center Box Office. Tickets sold at the box office are first-come, first-served.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 8, 2018
- T-Birds Hit Road for Two Games in Pennsylvania - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Roadrunners Continue Home Stand with Promotional Packed Weekend - Tucson Roadrunners
- Rockford Assigns 3 Players to ECHL's Indy Fuel - Rockford IceHogs
- Greer Headed to Avalanche, Eagles Recall Two from Utah - Colorado Eagles
- Stars and Stripes Jersey Auction to be Held Through DASH Auction - Texas Stars
- Admirals to Offer Free Tickets on Friday for Veterans & Active Military - Milwaukee Admirals
- San Diego Gulls to Honor U.S. Armed Forces During Military Weekend November 9-10 - San Diego Gulls
- Iowa Falls to Bakersfield in Overtime 5-4 - Iowa Wild
- Brett Young to Perform Post-Game January 25 - Milwaukee Admirals
- Chaz Reddekopp Reassigned to Manchester - Ontario Reign
- Marody Overtime Winner for Condors in 5-4 Victory - Bakersfield Condors
- "The Voice" Champion, Longmeadow Native Brynn Cartelli to Perform National Anthem Before Thunderbirds Game November 16 - Springfield Thunderbirds
- 18th Annual School Day Game and Lunch Box Giveaway on Tap Next Week - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Ottawa Reassigns Rodewald to Belleville - Belleville Senators
- Monsters to Host "Salute to Service" Night this Saturday - Cleveland Monsters
- IceHogs Sign Former Calder Cup Champ Auger to PTO - Rockford IceHogs
- Rangers Assign Boo Nieves to Hartford - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Sturtz Battles Through Injury to Return to Sens Line-Up - Belleville Senators
- Tucson Continues Its San Diego Dominance; Madsen Earns First Win - Tucson Roadrunners
- Gulls Doubled up at Tucson 6-3 - San Diego Gulls
- Rocket Launch Road Trip with 4-3 Victory over Comets - Laval Rocket
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.