Rocket Launch Road Trip with 4-3 Victory over Comets
UTICA - In the game that concluded three consecutive matchups between the Laval Rocket and the Utica Comets, Alexandre Grenier and Byron Froese each picked two points to give the Rocket a 4-3 victory and to allow them to pick up four out of a possible six points against the divisional rival this past week.
Penalty woes got the better of the Rocket in the first period, which saw Froese take a five-minute major penalty for boarding and Grenier a two-minute minor for high-sticking. It was on these two penalties that Utica's Tanner Kero was able to score twice- once while on a five-on-three powerplay due to Grenier and Froese being in the box simultaneously, and again on a one-man advantage to give the Comets a 2-0 lead after 20 minutes of play.
An offensive storm from Laval allowed the Rocket to take the lead away from the Comets and give it to themselves before the halfway mark of the second was reached, as Joël Bouchard's troops managed to score three goals in just 4:07. The first goal came from Grenier three minutes into the period, the second from Daniel Audette's at 6:53, and the third from Alexandre Alain, his first professional goal less than a minute later. Zack MacEwen tied things up for the Utica about a minute and a half later however, and Charlie Lindgren entered the game in relief of Michael McNiven.
Lindgren turned away all seven shots he faced in the end of the second as well as all the shots faced in the third period which meant that Michael Chaput's fourth of the season that he snuck by a screened Ivan Kulbakov in the third period served as the game-winner, earning him the game's first star honours.
"They're a hardworking team. Since the beginning of the year, they're the most hardworking [we've seen] in my opinion," said Bouchard of their opponents after the game. "I respect their effort. They skate, they're fast, but I find our guys handled the third period very well. They controlled the play well."
LAV: Grenier (Froese, Lamarche) | Audette (Grenier, Froese) | Alain (Vejdemo) | Chaput (Evans, Kulak)
UTI: Kero (Dahlen, Juolevi) | Kero (Brisebois, Carcone) | MacEwen (Juolevi, Kero)
LAV: McNiven (14/17) | Lindgren (7/7) || UTI: Kulbakov (18/22)
Rocket Powerplay: 1/6 |Rocket Penalty Kill: 2/4
Three Stars :
Michael Chaput - LAV | 2. Tanner Kero - UTI | 3. Jonathan Dahlen- UTI
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 8, 2018
- T-Birds Hit Road for Two Games in Pennsylvania - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Roadrunners Continue Home Stand with Promotional Packed Weekend - Tucson Roadrunners
- Rockford Assigns 3 Players to ECHL's Indy Fuel - Rockford IceHogs
- Greer Headed to Avalanche, Eagles Recall Two from Utah - Colorado Eagles
- Stars and Stripes Jersey Auction to be Held Through DASH Auction - Texas Stars
- Admirals to Offer Free Tickets on Friday for Veterans & Active Military - Milwaukee Admirals
- San Diego Gulls to Honor U.S. Armed Forces During Military Weekend November 9-10 - San Diego Gulls
- Iowa Falls to Bakersfield in Overtime 5-4 - Iowa Wild
- Brett Young to Perform Post-Game January 25 - Milwaukee Admirals
- Chaz Reddekopp Reassigned to Manchester - Ontario Reign
- Marody Overtime Winner for Condors in 5-4 Victory - Bakersfield Condors
- "The Voice" Champion, Longmeadow Native Brynn Cartelli to Perform National Anthem Before Thunderbirds Game November 16 - Springfield Thunderbirds
- 18th Annual School Day Game and Lunch Box Giveaway on Tap Next Week - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Ottawa Reassigns Rodewald to Belleville - Belleville Senators
- Monsters to Host "Salute to Service" Night this Saturday - Cleveland Monsters
- IceHogs Sign Former Calder Cup Champ Auger to PTO - Rockford IceHogs
- Rangers Assign Boo Nieves to Hartford - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Sturtz Battles Through Injury to Return to Sens Line-Up - Belleville Senators
- Tucson Continues Its San Diego Dominance; Madsen Earns First Win - Tucson Roadrunners
- Gulls Doubled up at Tucson 6-3 - San Diego Gulls
- Rocket Launch Road Trip with 4-3 Victory over Comets - Laval Rocket
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.