Saltdogs Re-Sign Veteran Pitcher Shairon Martis, Add Former Triple-A Arm Kuzminsky
LINCOLN, NE - The Lincoln Saltdogs announced today that the organization signed right-handed pitcher Scott Kuzminsky (pronounced Kuz-MIN-skee) on Sunday. The team released RHP Brian Loconsole. The Saltdogs continued to bolster their pitching staff today by re-signing veteran RHP Shairon Martis (pronounced Shy-ROHN MAR-tis). The team placed RHP Austin Robichaux on the Disabled List retroactive to June 4th.
Martis is in his fourth season with the Saltdogs. The righty has appeared in two games this season and allowed eight runs over 3.2 innings. He went to the DL after his first outing and left his second appearance with an injury. He last threw in a game on May 26th at Fargo-Moorhead.
Martis is in his fourth season in Lincoln and has compiled one of the best pitching careers in franchise history. He was 19-12 with a 3.34 ERA over 51 appearances entering 2018. Martis joined the club after being released by the Orioles organization last season and went 4-1 with a 2.00 ERA in the final two months of the season.
The Curacao-native is third in Saltdogs history in wins (19), tied for fourth in complete games (3), third in innings pitched (267.2), and third in strikeouts (204).
The star pitcher brings MLB experience to the roster. He pitched for the Washington Nationals in parts of the 2008 and 2009 seasons while registering six appearances for the Minnesota Twins in 2013. His career numbers are 6-7 with a 5.35 ERA in 116 innings including one complete game.
Kuzminky is in his fourth professional season and spent the first part of 2018 pitching in the Mariners organization. He made 16 appearances between High-A Modesto and Double-A Arkansas compiling a 1-1 record and 3.72 ERA. He allowed 13 earned runs in 31.1 innings of work.
The righty started 2017 with the Windy City Thunderbolts of the Frontier League and posted a 1.42 ERA over 32 outings. He struck out an impressive 42 batters over 31.2 innings pitched. His efforts were enough to attract the Mariners who purchased his contract and gave him nine games between Low-A Everett and Triple-A Tacoma at the end of the year. He notched three saves and displayed a 1.64 ERA between the two stops.
The 26-year-old split his rookie season between the Wichita Wingnuts and Trois-Rivieres of the Can-Am League. He was 2-4 with a 4.95 ERA over 22 games with the Wingnuts in 2015. He was 3-1 with a 4.00 ERA in 40 games for Trois-Rivieres in 2016.
Kuzminsky spent two seasons pitching for the University of Hawaii. He was 4-7 with a 3.39 ERA over two seasons with the Rainbow Warriors. He tallied two complete game shutouts as a senior.
He made his Saltdogs debut on Sunday night, recording two outs and walking two batters.
Loconsole pitched in eight games for the Saltdogs. He recorded a 2.34 ERA in 7.2 innings of work. The righty gave up home runs in each of his last two outings, including a grand slam on Friday night.
The Saltdogs (14-9) start a four game series in Grand Prairie against the Texas AirHogs tonight at 7:05 PM. Coverage starts 30 minutes before first pitch on ESPN 101.5 FM 1480 AM.
For more information on the Saltdogs, follow the team on Facebook and Twitter/Instagram @saltdogsball. For ticket information visit https://saltdogs.com/tickets/ or call (402) 474-2255.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from June 11, 2018
- Railroaders Walk 13 in Series-Opening Loss to Wingnuts - Cleburne Railroaders
- Wichita Walks to Series-Opening Win - Wichita Wingnuts
- Saints Fall Just Short to RedHawks, Lose 5-4 - St. Paul Saints
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Saltdogs Re-Sign Veteran Pitcher Shairon Martis, Add Former Triple-A Arm Kuzminsky - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Wingnuts Add Trio of Arms, Including Former Shocker - Wichita Wingnuts
- T-Bones Return Home this Week - Kansas City T-Bones
- Colin Willis Named AA Pointstreak Player of the Week - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Boshers Leads Goldeyes Past RailCats - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- RailCats Drop to Goldeyes, 2-1, in Series Opener - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Big Red: Root Named Pointstreak Pitcher of the Week - Chicago Dogs
- Dogs and Canaries Meet for Second Time in a Week - Chicago Dogs
- RailCats Activate IF Randy Santiesteban from Disabled List - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- AirHogs Hold on for Win in Sioux City Finale - Texas AirHogs
- Late Rally Not Enough as X's Lose to Texas - Sioux City Explorers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.