Big Red: Root Named Pointstreak Pitcher of the Week
Sioux Falls, S.D. - For the first time in franchise history, a Chicago Dog has received a weekly honor, as the American Association announced Monday that Connor Root has been named the Pointstreak Pitcher of the Week.
Root made one start during the week, logging eight shutout innings on Wednesday in an 8-0 drubbing of the Sioux Falls Canaries. Root continued to build on a strong week of pitching for the Dogs, as his eight shutout frames were part of 25 consecutive shutout innings logged by Dogs pitchers during the week.
Making his fourth start of the season, Root struck out seven Canaries and allowed only four hits, lowering his earned run average from 8.53 to 5.23. The right-hander out of Nashua, N.H. earned his first victory of the season as part of the outing.
Root went deeper into the game Wednesday than he had in a start all year. Not only did he log eight innings-the only Chicago starter to have done that this year-but he also threw 105 pitches, with 65 of them going for strikes. After allowing a leadoff single in his final frame, Root finished with a bang, striking out the next two Canaries hitters and inducing a fly out to end his outing. At one point, Root set down eight Sioux Falls hitters in a row.
Root is scheduled to make his next start Tuesday, again against Sioux Falls, as the Dogs take on the Canaries in a four-game set between the two teams.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from June 11, 2018
- Railroaders Walk 13 in Series-Opening Loss to Wingnuts - Cleburne Railroaders
- Wichita Walks to Series-Opening Win - Wichita Wingnuts
- Saints Fall Just Short to RedHawks, Lose 5-4 - St. Paul Saints
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Saltdogs Re-Sign Veteran Pitcher Shairon Martis, Add Former Triple-A Arm Kuzminsky - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Wingnuts Add Trio of Arms, Including Former Shocker - Wichita Wingnuts
- T-Bones Return Home this Week - Kansas City T-Bones
- Colin Willis Named AA Pointstreak Player of the Week - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Boshers Leads Goldeyes Past RailCats - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- RailCats Drop to Goldeyes, 2-1, in Series Opener - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Big Red: Root Named Pointstreak Pitcher of the Week - Chicago Dogs
- Dogs and Canaries Meet for Second Time in a Week - Chicago Dogs
- RailCats Activate IF Randy Santiesteban from Disabled List - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- AirHogs Hold on for Win in Sioux City Finale - Texas AirHogs
- Late Rally Not Enough as X's Lose to Texas - Sioux City Explorers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.