Boshers Leads Goldeyes Past RailCats
WINNIPEG, MB - The Winnipeg Goldeyes (13-10) beat the Gary SouthShore RailCats 2-1 at Shaw Park in front of 5,992 fans on Monday afternoon.
Goldeyes' starter Alex Boshers (1-3) picked up the win, and held the RailCats to one earned run on five hits over seven and two-thirds innings. Boshers walked one and struck out six. Boshers retired the RailCats' leadoff hitter in seven of the eight innings that he started, and threw first-pitch strikes to 20 of 29 batters faced. Boshers has now walked two batters or less in 38 of 42 career starts as a professional.
"To be honest, I had no intention of keeping him past six innings, because he pitched on short rest (last Wednesday) in Gary, and I'm a firm believer that you should nurture your pitching," said Goldeyes' manager Rick Forney. "But he was commanding the zone, kept attacking all day, and didn't force my hand by pitching himself out of the game."
The Goldeyes broke a scoreless tie in the bottom of the fourth when Reynaldo Rodriguez led off the inning with a long home run to left field. Rodriguez has now hit safely in 20 of 23 games played this season.
In the bottom of the seventh, Grant Heyman hustled out a two-out double to left-centre that came on an 0-2 count. Matt McCann followed with a line drive single to centre that scored Heyman with the Goldeyes' second run.
The RailCats (14-9) cut the lead in half in the next half inning. Reggie Wilson doubled to left-centre with one out. Boshers came back to strike out Andy DeJesus before Jack Charleston came in from the bullpen. Mitch Glasser doubled down the left field line to drive in Wilson. Charleston came back and struck out Colin Willis to strand Glasser at second as the tying run.
"I got some easy groundballs, and Jordan made an unbelievable play at third (in the top of the seventh)," said Boshers. "I know it had to be soaking wet, but he put it right on the money. I love my bullpen guys to death. They always have my back, and anytime I can try and give them a day off, I'm going to try and do it."
Victor Capellan pitched a perfect top of the ninth to earn his league-leading 11th save.
Jordan Edgerton robbed Dale Carey of a bunt base hit in the seventh, charging forward on wet grass before fielding the ball and making an off-balance throw to Rodriguez across the diamond. Rodriguez took away any further swings from Cole Fabio leading off the top of the eighth after plucking a popup out of the air while leaning over the top step of the RailCats' dugout.
RailCats' starter Lars Liguori (1-2) took the loss, allowing two earned runs on seven hits in seven innings. Liguori walked none and struck out three.
Game two of the three-game series is Tuesday night at 7:05 p.m. The Goldeyes have not yet announced their starting pitcher. The RailCats go with left-hander Jeff McKenzie (2-0, 4.70). Tickets for all Goldeyes' home games are on sale now by visiting www.ticketmaster.ca/Goldeyes, or visiting any Ticketmaster location, including the box office at Shaw Park.
For information regarding Winnipeg Goldeyes' season tickets, 10-game mini packs, and group outings, call the Goldeyes' office at (204) 982-BASE, or visit the Goldeyes' official website at www.goldeyes.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from June 11, 2018
- Railroaders Walk 13 in Series-Opening Loss to Wingnuts - Cleburne Railroaders
- Wichita Walks to Series-Opening Win - Wichita Wingnuts
- Saints Fall Just Short to RedHawks, Lose 5-4 - St. Paul Saints
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Saltdogs Re-Sign Veteran Pitcher Shairon Martis, Add Former Triple-A Arm Kuzminsky - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Wingnuts Add Trio of Arms, Including Former Shocker - Wichita Wingnuts
- T-Bones Return Home this Week - Kansas City T-Bones
- Colin Willis Named AA Pointstreak Player of the Week - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Boshers Leads Goldeyes Past RailCats - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- RailCats Drop to Goldeyes, 2-1, in Series Opener - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Big Red: Root Named Pointstreak Pitcher of the Week - Chicago Dogs
- Dogs and Canaries Meet for Second Time in a Week - Chicago Dogs
- RailCats Activate IF Randy Santiesteban from Disabled List - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- AirHogs Hold on for Win in Sioux City Finale - Texas AirHogs
- Late Rally Not Enough as X's Lose to Texas - Sioux City Explorers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.