Wichita Walks to Series-Opening Win
WICHITA, Kan. - The Wichita Wingnuts drew a season-high 13 walks, including seven in a five-run second inning, and cruised past the Cleburne Railroaders 6-1 on Monday night at The Depot at Cleburne Station.
Wichita (12-11) made the most out of just four base hits, tied for a season low. After a groundout started the top of the second, Cleburne starter Patrick Young (1-2) walked five consecutive hitters, including bases-loaded free passes to Hunter Clanin and Leo Vargas that put the Wingnuts in front 2-0. Logan Watkins then delivered the biggest hit of the night for Wichita, smacking a two-run single into right that doubled the lead, and a wild pitch plated Vargas to cap the scoring in the frame.
That would prove to be more than enough support for Wingnuts starter Charlie Gillies (1-0) who was making his Wingnuts debut. The right-hander breezed through six shutout frames, striking out three while only allowing four base hits. Cleburne (9-14) threatened with multiple runners in the fifth and sixth, but a caught stealing and double play, respectively, got Gillies out of danger.
The Wingnuts tacked on one more run in the fifth courtesy of an RBI fielder's choice from Clanin, plating John Nester for Clanin's second RBI of the night.
John Hayes, Felix Carvallo and Jackson Sigman closed out the win with three innings of relief, allowing just one run on a seventh inning RBI double from Cameron Monger. Hayes and Sigman were also making their first appearance in a Wingnuts uniform.
The Wingnuts continue their series with the Railroaders on Tuesday night, with Corbin Osburn (2-1, 5.40) going up against Roman Gomez (0-2, 5.94) for Cleburne. First pitch is scheduled 7:05 PM, and will be broadcast on 1410 AM/93.9 FM KGSO, TuneIn and americanassociationbaseball.tv.
For information on season tickets, group outings, and party packages, call the Wingnuts main office at (316) 264-NUTS, or visit the Wingnuts official website at www.wichitawingnuts.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from June 11, 2018
- Railroaders Walk 13 in Series-Opening Loss to Wingnuts - Cleburne Railroaders
- Wichita Walks to Series-Opening Win - Wichita Wingnuts
- Saints Fall Just Short to RedHawks, Lose 5-4 - St. Paul Saints
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Saltdogs Re-Sign Veteran Pitcher Shairon Martis, Add Former Triple-A Arm Kuzminsky - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Wingnuts Add Trio of Arms, Including Former Shocker - Wichita Wingnuts
- T-Bones Return Home this Week - Kansas City T-Bones
- Colin Willis Named AA Pointstreak Player of the Week - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Boshers Leads Goldeyes Past RailCats - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- RailCats Drop to Goldeyes, 2-1, in Series Opener - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Big Red: Root Named Pointstreak Pitcher of the Week - Chicago Dogs
- Dogs and Canaries Meet for Second Time in a Week - Chicago Dogs
- RailCats Activate IF Randy Santiesteban from Disabled List - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- AirHogs Hold on for Win in Sioux City Finale - Texas AirHogs
- Late Rally Not Enough as X's Lose to Texas - Sioux City Explorers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.