RailCats Drop to Goldeyes, 2-1, in Series Opener
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada - Three hits from Mitch Glasser and seven innings of two-run ball from Lars Liguori wasn't enough for Gary as the RailCats fell to the reigning champion Winnipeg Goldeyes, 2-1, on a rainy Monday morning at Shaw Park. Gary brought the tying run to the plate in the ninth, however, Goldeyes closer Victor Cappellan (11) secured the win with a perfect top of the ninth for his league-leading 11th save.
Reynaldo Rodriguez delivered the first run of the morning with a solo homer to left off the light pole to begin the bottom of the fourth. The homer was Rodriguez's third of the season and the Goldeyes' 14th as a club.
Winnipeg (13-10) doubled their lead with a two-out run in the seventh. Grant Heyman hit an opposite-field double to the left-center warning track before Matt McCann brought home Heyman with an RBI single to center.
Gary (14-9) scored their only run with two outs in the eighth. Reggie Wilson doubled with one out to left before Glasser brought Wilson around to score with a two-out RBI double down the left field line for the RailCats only run.
Liguori (1-2) yielded two runs in a season-best seven innings in the loss for Gary. The southpaw gave up just seven hits, walked none and struck out three in his third start. Keaton Steele made his second appearance in as many games, allowing no runs in a scoreless bottom of the eighth.
Alex Boshers (1-3) recorded the win in his second consecutive start against Gary. The former Wichita Wingnut went a season-long 7.2 innings, yielding one run on five hits and a walk while striking out six. Reliever Jack Charleston retired one of the two batters he faced in a hold for Winnipeg.
The RailCats continue their season-long seven-game road trip on Tuesday at 7 p.m. against the Winnipeg Goldeyes. LHP Jeff McKenzie makes his second start of the road trip for Gary while Winnipeg has yet to announce their starter for the middle game of the series.
The RailCats return home to U.S. Steel Yard from their season-long seven-game road trip on Friday, June 15th vs. the Sioux City Explorers. Friday's series opener vs. Sioux City is Merrillville, Crown Point, DeMotte and Rensselear Community Night and a Fireworks Friday, presented by Fifth Third Bank. Friday's game is also Sandlot Night and the first of two Scout Night Campouts. Scout Night ticket packages range from $9 to $19 and feature Q & A with the players after the game, the movie Sandlot on the Jumbotron, postgame fireworks, a campout on the field and s'mores and breakfast the next morning.
Jared Shlensky and Brennan Mense bring you all 100 RailCats game this season on WEFM (95.9 FM) and online at railcatsbaseball.com. Ticket packages for the 2018 Gary SouthShore RailCats season are available online at railcatsbaseball.com and can also be purchased by calling the RailCats ticket line at (219) 882-BALL. The RailCats box office is open Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from June 11, 2018
- Railroaders Walk 13 in Series-Opening Loss to Wingnuts - Cleburne Railroaders
- Wichita Walks to Series-Opening Win - Wichita Wingnuts
- Saints Fall Just Short to RedHawks, Lose 5-4 - St. Paul Saints
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Saltdogs Re-Sign Veteran Pitcher Shairon Martis, Add Former Triple-A Arm Kuzminsky - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Wingnuts Add Trio of Arms, Including Former Shocker - Wichita Wingnuts
- T-Bones Return Home this Week - Kansas City T-Bones
- Colin Willis Named AA Pointstreak Player of the Week - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Boshers Leads Goldeyes Past RailCats - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- RailCats Drop to Goldeyes, 2-1, in Series Opener - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Big Red: Root Named Pointstreak Pitcher of the Week - Chicago Dogs
- Dogs and Canaries Meet for Second Time in a Week - Chicago Dogs
- RailCats Activate IF Randy Santiesteban from Disabled List - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- AirHogs Hold on for Win in Sioux City Finale - Texas AirHogs
- Late Rally Not Enough as X's Lose to Texas - Sioux City Explorers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Gary SouthShore Railcats Stories
- RailCats Partner with Rieth-Riley for Free Boxed Lunch Distribution on Friday, May 22nd
- RailCats to Open 2020 Season with Virtual Opening Day on May 22
- RailCats Care Launched to Benefit Local Organizations
- RailCats Announce Latest Set of Off-Season Roster Moves
- RailCats Announce Front Office Additions Including American Association's First Female Lead Broadcaster