Colin Willis Named AA Pointstreak Player of the Week
GARY, Ind. - Colin Willis has been named the American Association Pointstreak Player of the Week for the week of June 4-10. The outfielder hit .440 (11-for-25) for the week with five runs scored, three doubles, two home runs, and six RBIs.
Willis comes off an 8-for-15 series against Fargo-Moorhead. He finished the series with his first career multi-home run game to propel the RailCats to victory in both Sunday's game and the series. He went 3-for-5 on Sunday with a double, two home runs, and four RBIs.
He is the first RailCat to earn weekly honors in the American Association since Braulio Torres-Perez was named Pitcher of the Week for June 19-25, 2017, and the first hitter to earn AA weekly honors since Frank Martinez was named Player of the Week for August 8-14, 2016.
Willis is in his third season with the RailCats. He was named the American Association Rookie of the Year for the 2017 season after batting .319 with eight home runs, 54 RBIs, 15 stolen bases, and 54 runs scored. This season, he is batting .274 with three home runs and 14 RBI.
The RailCats finish a weeklong road trip with three games in Winnipeg before returning home on Friday for a weekend series against the Sioux City Explorers. Friday night is the first of two Scout Nights this season, featuring scouts camping on the field overnight at the U.S. Steel Yard and being treated to a movie, s'mores, and Saturday morning breakfast.
Jared Shlensky and Brennan Mense bring you all 100 RailCats game this season on WEFM (95.9 FM) and online at railcatsbaseball.com. Ticket packages for the 2018 Gary SouthShore RailCats season are available online at railcatsbaseball.com and can also be purchased by calling the RailCats ticket line at (219) 882-BALL. The RailCats box office is open Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from June 11, 2018
- Railroaders Walk 13 in Series-Opening Loss to Wingnuts - Cleburne Railroaders
- Wichita Walks to Series-Opening Win - Wichita Wingnuts
- Saints Fall Just Short to RedHawks, Lose 5-4 - St. Paul Saints
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Saltdogs Re-Sign Veteran Pitcher Shairon Martis, Add Former Triple-A Arm Kuzminsky - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Wingnuts Add Trio of Arms, Including Former Shocker - Wichita Wingnuts
- T-Bones Return Home this Week - Kansas City T-Bones
- Colin Willis Named AA Pointstreak Player of the Week - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Boshers Leads Goldeyes Past RailCats - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- RailCats Drop to Goldeyes, 2-1, in Series Opener - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Big Red: Root Named Pointstreak Pitcher of the Week - Chicago Dogs
- Dogs and Canaries Meet for Second Time in a Week - Chicago Dogs
- RailCats Activate IF Randy Santiesteban from Disabled List - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- AirHogs Hold on for Win in Sioux City Finale - Texas AirHogs
- Late Rally Not Enough as X's Lose to Texas - Sioux City Explorers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Gary SouthShore Railcats Stories
- Steele's Gem Not Enough in 2-1 to Loss to Goldeyes
- RailCats Sign Pair of Pitchers in Coursel and Samuel
- First Place 'Cats Return Home for All-American Family Fun
- RailCats Fall Back into First Place Tie with 9-5 Defeat to Saints
- RailCats Regain First Place Lead in North Division with 4-2 Win