AirHogs Hold on for Win in Sioux City Finale
SIOUX CITY, Iowa - The Texas AirHogs scored six times in the second inning and held on for a 6-5 win to close the three-game series in Sioux City Sunday. The AirHogs return home to open a four-game set vs. the Lincoln Saltdogs tomorrow at 7:05.
Meng Weiqiang (2-2) got the start for Texas and limited Sioux City to just five hits and two runs (two earned) over 5.1 innings. He struck out three and walked four on his way to a win.
The AirHogs offense broke out for five hits and six runs in the second vs. Sioux City starter Keith Picht (0-1). Stewart Ijames helped to key the inning with an early double off the top of the wall in left and then a daring steal of home.
Sioux City (18-5) worked its way back into the ballgame, taking parts from the 6-0 lead in the bottom of the second and bottom of the sixth before scoring three times vs. Yang Yanyong and Julio Eusebio in the eighth. Taylor Wright entered the ballgame in the eighth to strand the bases loaded before completing the four-out save, his second of the season, by inducing a game-ending 5-4-3 double play in the ninth.
Lu Zhenhong finished with two hits and two RBIs for the AirHogs. Correlle Prime added two hits and an RBI himself. Texas pulled out the win despite being outhit 11-8. The AirHogs stranded 10, the X's left 11.
Texas (4-17) will open a week-long homestand tomorrow vs. the Lincoln Saltdogs (14-9) at 7:05. Starters for both teams are TBA.
The AirHogs - powered by Beijing Shougang Eagles will take on Lincoln and Wichita as part of the seven-game homestand. Visit AirHogsBaseball.com for more information. For the latest news, follow the team on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram @TXAirHogs.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from June 11, 2018
- Railroaders Walk 13 in Series-Opening Loss to Wingnuts - Cleburne Railroaders
- Wichita Walks to Series-Opening Win - Wichita Wingnuts
- Saints Fall Just Short to RedHawks, Lose 5-4 - St. Paul Saints
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Saltdogs Re-Sign Veteran Pitcher Shairon Martis, Add Former Triple-A Arm Kuzminsky - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Wingnuts Add Trio of Arms, Including Former Shocker - Wichita Wingnuts
- T-Bones Return Home this Week - Kansas City T-Bones
- Colin Willis Named AA Pointstreak Player of the Week - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Boshers Leads Goldeyes Past RailCats - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- RailCats Drop to Goldeyes, 2-1, in Series Opener - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Big Red: Root Named Pointstreak Pitcher of the Week - Chicago Dogs
- Dogs and Canaries Meet for Second Time in a Week - Chicago Dogs
- RailCats Activate IF Randy Santiesteban from Disabled List - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- AirHogs Hold on for Win in Sioux City Finale - Texas AirHogs
- Late Rally Not Enough as X's Lose to Texas - Sioux City Explorers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.