Railroaders Walk 13 in Series-Opening Loss to Wingnuts
CLEBURNE, Texas - Trevor Sealey recorded his third multi-hit game of 2018, but the Railroaders walked a franchise-record 13 Wingnuts in a 6-1 loss to Wichita at The Depot on Monday night.
Cleburne (9-14) starter Patrick Young walked seven batters over a season-low 1.1 innings, including a stretch of five consecutive one-out walks that scored a pair of runs and ended his night in the 2nd inning.
Will Mathis anchored the bullpen with four scoreless innings, allowing just one hit with one walk to close out the night. Michael Gunn gave up his first run of the year in the 5th inning.
Josh Hodges came on in long relief and went 1.2 scoreless innings, but also walked three batters with one strikeout.
Cam Monger reached on an infield single and drove in Cleburne's only run with a double to right-center field in the 7th inning. Alex Polston also singled in the game, while K.C. Huth's six-game hitting streak and Patrick Palmeiro's eight-game hitting streak both came to an end.
The 13 walks surpassed the 10 walks Cleburne issued in a seven-inning game back on May 30 against the Wingnuts (12-11). The Railroaders walked twice and struck out only six times on the night.
Wichita starter Charlie Gillies, making his Wingnut debut, turned in six scoreless innings with four hits allowed. John Hayes, another Wingnut making his debut, gave up the RBI double to Monger.
The Wingnuts are now 4-1 against Cleburne this season, and the Railroaders are 3-11 against the South Division in 2018.
The four-game set continues Tuesday at 7:06 p.m. Cleburne will throw RHP Roman Gomez, while the Wingnuts counter with the lefty Corbin Osburn.
Tuesday is also Two-For-Tuesday at The Depot. Get two tickets, two hot dogs, two fountain drinks and a gameday guide for just $22. Tickets can be purchased at www.railroaderbaseball.com or by calling (817) 945-8705.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from June 11, 2018
- Railroaders Walk 13 in Series-Opening Loss to Wingnuts - Cleburne Railroaders
- Wichita Walks to Series-Opening Win - Wichita Wingnuts
- Saints Fall Just Short to RedHawks, Lose 5-4 - St. Paul Saints
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Saltdogs Re-Sign Veteran Pitcher Shairon Martis, Add Former Triple-A Arm Kuzminsky - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Wingnuts Add Trio of Arms, Including Former Shocker - Wichita Wingnuts
- T-Bones Return Home this Week - Kansas City T-Bones
- Colin Willis Named AA Pointstreak Player of the Week - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Boshers Leads Goldeyes Past RailCats - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- RailCats Drop to Goldeyes, 2-1, in Series Opener - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Big Red: Root Named Pointstreak Pitcher of the Week - Chicago Dogs
- Dogs and Canaries Meet for Second Time in a Week - Chicago Dogs
- RailCats Activate IF Randy Santiesteban from Disabled List - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- AirHogs Hold on for Win in Sioux City Finale - Texas AirHogs
- Late Rally Not Enough as X's Lose to Texas - Sioux City Explorers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.